Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Temp nanny questions...

(6 Posts)
waterlego Tue 27-Nov-12 21:30:18

Noted, Blondes.

Good advice, thank you smile

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 27-Nov-12 19:52:57

Peeling paint and grubby carpets are fine but pooey unclean toilets are not - I speak from experience !!!

I'm a temp nanny and go into many houses and honestly the decoration doesn't bother me at all smile

Foodwise I generally ask parents what fav food is as tbh no point cooking a meal they dislike if only there a day or two

waterlego Tue 27-Nov-12 16:49:22

Thank you! I realise I probably sound unhinged but I'm just a bit anxious about it for some reason. Have just heard from the agency and they've given me the nanny's contact details so we can meet up before the dates she is booked. That's put my mind at rest a bit and will be a good opportunity to talk to her about cooking and so on. Thanks both smile

FruttiDiMadre Tue 27-Nov-12 15:02:07

Nannies work for all sorts of families, especially the ones doing lost of temp jobs. I honestly don't think she'll care much about your walls or carpets. :D

If you worried about the cooking, why don't you ask the agency for her number and give her a quick call? That way you can check with her if she's happy to cook anything or would rather just boil some pasta/put chips and fish fingers in the oven.

Vajazzler Tue 27-Nov-12 13:26:36

Will you be meeting her or speaking to her before hand? Ask her what sort of things she usually cooks for her charges to gauge what her cooking skills are. I'm sure she wont judge you on your home decor grin

waterlego Tue 27-Nov-12 13:20:40

I've never used one before but have booked one to do two after-school/evenings next month.

In my head, nannies work for high-earning, impressive people. Will the nanny judge my peeling paintwork and grubby carpets?!

Apparently, she is also going to do dinner for my DCs but the agency haven't given any guidance on this. Should I just provide ingredients and let her get on with it? Or will she be expecting more specific instructions? What if I ask her to cook fish fingers?!

<inferiority complex>

Can anyone advise/reassure me?

Very daft post, I realise. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now