Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

is this odd/unreasonable?

(55 Posts)
redundant Mon 26-Nov-12 21:29:43

hi there, we are relocating, and have found a new childminder who has one child of her own. She has announced that her son goes to judo class once a week (middle of the day on a weekday). The class is for 45mins and it's a half hour drive away. She has asked if we would like to join my son in the class, and has said that if not she will take some activities for my son to do while he waits and watches.
Is this a bit odd? I have no problem with childminders fitting my children in with their everyday life in terms of going to shops, doctors etc, but it seems to show a lack of empathy for the child that is going to have to sit and watch (we can't afford the lesson fee on top of childcare costs). Or do you think this is ok? Genuinely looking for opinions as can no longer see the wood for the trees, thank you.

LingDiLong Mon 03-Dec-12 13:18:25

Is there really any need to be so.rude reet? The OP has graciously accepted that the childminder wasn't being unreasonable and has explained her valid concerns about moving. Your attitude in your reply does none of us any favours on this kind of thread; being insulting and aggressive is hardly a good representation of the kind of service childminders offer.

ReetPetit Mon 03-Dec-12 14:09:54

i wasn't aware of being rude, aggressive or insulting LingDiLong,, my apologies if you feel us was.
i don't think my answer gives any representation of cms in general - i am answering the question for myself, no one else....

MrsPotato Mon 03-Dec-12 14:38:12

I don't think reet sounded aggressive. She was hammering home her point and after reading a thread containing 50 odd posts with a fairly even split hers is certainly one of the more memorable posts.

As a CM and parent I wouldn't have anything against the class in principle but the amount of time in total out of the afternoon (did OP say ds did afternoons only?) would make it a no for me.

Yorkpud Mon 03-Dec-12 16:16:21

It's the half an hours drive that would put me off. That would make 1 hour in the car plus 45 mins waiting around. However, she has been upfront so you have the choice to either accept her terms or find another childminder.

Mindingalongtime Tue 04-Dec-12 10:12:04

On the other hand I have taken minded children to swimming and ballet lessons and MY children have had to sit and watch the minded child, it has never been a problem for me or my children. My children have often missed out because of minding, but accept that is life and it is my work

There may come a time when your son has an activity you want him to do and may want your childminder to take him to it, sit and wait with her children, - what goes around comes around, it s fairly normal for siblings to have to do this, and that is how I see my minded children an extension of my family and accommodate everyones's needs best as I can.

If you like her, go with it, it may not be so easy to find another minder

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now