Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Obs, assessments etc for babies & short time wraparound

(6 Posts)
lechatnoir Sun 25-Nov-12 00:23:02

Thanks ggm really helpful post with lots of great ideas grin

girlgonemild Sat 24-Nov-12 23:10:55

I'm very much not an expert but in terms of dealing with my own DC as babies I just keep up to date with what the next step would be for them and encourage them towards it.
I.e. DC is arching and wriggling and tracking objects to the side, they are the right age to be rolling so I place mirrored toys etc. just out of reach and to the side to encourage them to make that next step.
If they have good head control I help them try out sitting, prop with cushions etc. If they are struggling to crawl I spend time popping toys ahead of them and putting my hand behind their feet to help them get traction and try their first moves etc.
In other areas if they have learnt to smile I play peekaboo to extend the interaction. If they are at an age where their ability to see colour is extending I try out different coloured objects, different textures, at 6 months try a treasure basket to help them explore and become independent in their play choices etc.
Hope that gives some ideas...sorry if not!

lechatnoir Sat 24-Nov-12 22:56:07

Belated thanks to you both. I get the obs now using your example HSMM but still not sure what to do about planning & next steps when they aren't really do much ATM

TurnTables Thu 22-Nov-12 21:17:06

The new EYFS says

1.3 Wrap around3 and holiday providers4 should be guided by, but do not necessarily need to meet, all the learning and development requirements. Practitioners should discuss with parents and/or carers (and other practitioners and providers as appropriate) the support they intend to offer, seeking to complement learning in settings in which children spend more time.

So that covers school age children.

HSMM Thu 22-Nov-12 13:46:51

Use the EYFS development matters to see what observations you could make. They can be as simple as observing the baby cuddling up to drink milk.

The before and after school children should have theirs done by their school, but you can demonstrate how you would share relevant information with the school (ie John bumped his knee getting in the car, but he seems ok).

lechatnoir Thu 22-Nov-12 13:34:12

Aside from daily diaries, can anyone explain what / how I'm supposed to deliver the EYFS requirements such as planning, observations & assessments for babies? I have 2 babies (7mths & 9 mths) on my books who only come PT and by the time they've had meals, snacks, a sleep & little play there's barely time for anything else plus I just don't know how to plan for next steps or maintain a LJ when they aren't even moving! I'm quite satisfied I'm providing good levels of care for them with adequate stimulation etc but I'm due my ofsted inspection so really need to get this sorted ASAP.
I also have 2 wraparound children but they are only here for half hour before & 1 hour after school so bar eating & having a chat there's really no time for activities - again, what will ofsted expect of me in respect of paperwork for these two? Things like parental feedback forms, planning etc just seems do irrelevant here but presumably that won't wash with Mrs O!
Any advice?

LCN

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now