Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Have you noticed this? (lack of manners and concern for others)

(23 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Thu 22-Nov-12 21:39:55

I am so pleased to know I am not the only one who is hot on manners.

I must admit that since posting this thread I did get a thank you from a young man and a young women when I gave them way on the payment. Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was a child we use to knock before entering our parents room. I knock when entering the doctors if the door is closed smile

Its important that we teach manner to our kids... what we do not practice may be lost in years to come sad

anewyear Thu 22-Nov-12 18:26:47

2.3 is a lovley age for sneezes, coughs and snotty noses (love the snail trails on sleeves of Jumpers!) :-)

minderjinx Thu 22-Nov-12 17:48:52

I'm very keen on good manners. I teach all the children please and thank you, and once I know they can say please "I want..." doesn't get, I just say ask me again but nicely this time! (and I don't let go of the cup, toy or whatever they ask for until they say thank you too). They do soon learn.

Tanith Thu 22-Nov-12 17:28:13

I find that, once the older children are taught, the younger ones will copy.
The older children are far better at reminding them what to do, too.

I've also taught them the signs for Please, Thank you and Sorry. They can either say or sign.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 22-Nov-12 15:11:15

manners cost nothing

i always teach my charges please/thank you/pardon etc

and yes try and teach to put hand over mouth smile

MyLastDuchess Thu 22-Nov-12 14:25:38

anewyear he honestly doesn't cough that much (thankfully) so it hadn't really come up yet. But if I saw him coughing and he didn't put his hand up I would correct him - it was just that it happened the other way around first.

They have also taught him a whole lot of nifty dance moves that he definitely didn't pick up from DP or me grin

MUM2BLESS Thu 22-Nov-12 13:26:51

Wow what a great response thanks

Smeeeinit you said "I agree with everything except the road crossing thing....
I actually prefer for cars not to stop to let us cross as It can lead to the children thinking a car is going to stop when it's not.
Does that make sense! "

Thanks for that never saw it that way before. It does make sense!! Its amazing looking at things from another view point smile

anewyear
Out of interest
At what age do people think you should start to teach a child to put their hand over their mouth when they cough or sneeze (as soon as they can understand what your saying is a year old too young?)

At what age do people think a child should automatically put a hand to their mouth for a cough or sneeze. 18-24 months?

I am not sure if I am expecting too much.

In th past I looked after a girl who was not taught to put her hands at her mouth. She eventually did.

Do all cultures teach their kids this.

nbee84 Thu 22-Nov-12 10:03:18

2.3yo I look after has a cough at the moment and I am teaching her to put her hand over her mouth. She has not done it automatically yet and I'm having to tell her each and every time she coughs smile

MerryMarigold Thu 22-Nov-12 09:41:15

I try and teach my ds to put his hand over his mouth when coughing, but he doesn't cough enough to learn it (learning takes a LOT of repetition). By the end of the cough he's mastered it, but a year later and the next cough requires teaching all over again. It may just be him as he does find multi tasking and physical co-ordination quite difficult, but I think most people probably think I haven't taught him. All my kids are good at please and thankyou though.

anewyear Thu 22-Nov-12 09:38:02

Out of interest
At what age do people think you should start to teach a child to put their hand over their mouth when they cough or sneeze

At what age do people think a child should automatically put a hand to their mouth for a cough or sneeze.

bitsofmeworkjustfine Thu 22-Nov-12 09:37:49

i think that people in general dont give a thought to kids most of the time.

we went camping last year and the tents were jammed in together and you could hear everything going on in the tents around you. Honestly people spoke to thier dogs more nicely than they did to thier own kids!

It made me incredibly sad.

anewyear Thu 22-Nov-12 09:35:23

Duchess do you not teach him to put his hand over his mouth at home? confused

MyLastDuchess Wed 21-Nov-12 17:58:16

Do you teach your kids to put hands at their mouths when coughing etc. I have noticed that some parents dont.

My DS is 2.3 and goes to creche 2 days a week - he's been taught this there already. I was very impressed smile

I have been trying to teach him to say thank you but not getting anywhere yet (he is bilingual and fairly late talking in general, which may be part of it).

Runoutofideas Wed 21-Nov-12 17:53:10

I agree - I have witnessed an accident where a driver waved a little girl across the road, into the path of a car coming the other way... Luckily she was not badly hurt.

Agree with you in general about manners though - and smiling at people - how hard is it to smile?!

LoveDogs Wed 21-Nov-12 17:52:32

I work in a nursery and it seems like most of the time your fighting a losing battle, we spend all day drumming into them to say please, thank you and help please when they need help, but when they go home if the parents don't do the same it takes forever to get through to them.

Catsdontcare Wed 21-Nov-12 17:33:23

I agree smee I never stop on the road to allow people to cross because it doesn't teach kids how to cross properly and just because you know you are going to slow down and stop the is no guarantee traffic coming the other way will.

HSMM Wed 21-Nov-12 17:30:23

I know what you mean Smeeeinit my DD has to cross the road to her bus stop every morning and the lovely drivers always let her across. I do worry that she will not notice the idiot who runs her over.

Smeeeinit Wed 21-Nov-12 17:24:06

I agree with everything except the road crossing thing....
I actually prefer for cars not to stop to let us cross as It can lead to the children thinking a car is going to stop when it's not.
Does that make sense!

Tanith Wed 21-Nov-12 14:58:35

DH was once driving along a main road when he saw another childminder we know crossing the road with a double buggy and two small children. She'd waited for a clear gap and was more than half way when a driver on the other side actually accelerated fast towards her. She only just made it.
Idiot angry

DH reported him to the police.

HSMM Wed 21-Nov-12 14:53:21

My DD and mindees cough into their sleeves and are encouraged to say please and thank you and share, etc. I think it's important .

GrimAndHumourless Wed 21-Nov-12 14:50:13

We cough into the crooks of our arms here

I think that good manners can really smooth your path through life, and model them to the children, i have high expectations and encourage from a v young age

What other folk do, well I am in my bubble and don't notice much tbh

Stoney666 Wed 21-Nov-12 14:43:13

Couldn't agree more grin

MUM2BLESS Wed 21-Nov-12 14:08:04

I am a mum of four and cm of seven.

Whilst out and about I am really taken back in the way in which people generally behave

I am from the old school regarding respect and manners. Here are a few examples

Waiting to cross the road with a child in the buggy and also children walking. Some drivers not even bothering to let you cross. Would be lovely dont you think? (no traffics etc near)

Also when you let mothers get by, due to work being done on the pavement area, not even a thank you from none of them.

As a cm I teach the children to say please and thank you. Do you teach your own and the children you cm this?

Do you teach your kids to put hands at their mouths when coughing etc. I have noticed that some parents dont.

My own son made me smile this morning. He was really coughing, so I got up and asked if he wanted some water.

His reply went somethng like this "No thank you, thank you for asking"
Hes 8. I must be doing something right smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now