This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What's the best leaving gift you've been given - or wished you'd be given

(12 Posts)
manamana Sat 30-Jul-11 20:36:32

We have a fantastic nanny, she's been with us for nearly 2 years but I'm having a another dc soon and not planning on returning to work so our nanny is off to another job. Would love to give her something really special, maybe with a picture the kids have done on it or something like that - any ideas gratefully received.

nannynick Sat 30-Jul-11 21:40:46

Things I have liked:

Coffee/Tea Mug which had a child's drawing on it - a child I babysit did one for me when he was 2 (nearly 3). 11.5 years on I still have the mug and it is in regular use as a mug - the dishwasher has not yet removed the picture. It's just a plain white mug like this with a red rectangle border and a child's artwork inside the red border, along with the date.

Downing Street Pen and Tin of Jelly Beans. Can't see jelly beans tin being in the list so maybe it was mints. I can't remember it was a while ago and the sweets have long since been consumed. It may be a odd thing to get but it's the uniqueness aspect - while many people do get these things, they are only available to people visiting (or knowing someone who works there). So if there is something uncommon you can get from work, then that may work as a gift.

Things I didn't really like:

Framed photos of the children - I already have enough photos of the children I nanny already, from all those pictures taken whilst on outings.

Paper drawings from the children. Ok it's nice for them to give me something when I leave but paper gets lost, crumpled. A drawing transferred to a mug which is then glazed lasts a lot longer.

minderjinx Sun 31-Jul-11 10:15:06

My favorite present was a red leather filofax - I still use it years later, and it has plenty of room for one or two kids photos which are a nice memento without taking over my house like framed photos would do.

nbee84 Sun 31-Jul-11 10:47:07

My best present was a beautifully written letter from the parents telling me how much they and the children loved me and appreciated all my hard work - highlighting some of the memorable moments during the 2 years I worked for them smile

I agree with Nick about the framed photo - although a small one or a keyring type would be ok - I have lots of photos that I have taken and having been in childcare for over 25 years, that's a lot of children!

Things made for me by the children are always loved and cherished.

Lily311 Sun 31-Jul-11 15:42:25

The best one was a notebook, the mum ordered it from photobox, the front and the back has pictures of my charges.It's very nice and after 3 years I still use it to note down ideas, what to do, etc.

Agree with pictures, as much as I love my charges, I don't put their pictures on my fire place-I have plenty of them on my computer,phone.

Worst one I got was a bedside table from my first job-it was childish, huge and did not go with my bedroom at all. It was given away after a while.

manamana Sun 31-Jul-11 20:54:28

Thanks for all the ideas, I would love to get her a mug but she doesn't drink coffee or tea, glad you liked it though - may look into a bowl or plate instead. Yes, understand about framed photos, we have someone in our family that does that sometimes and I don't appreciate them, always seems v presumptuous.

callaird Sun 31-Jul-11 22:39:26

First job - An Eeyore soft toy and car seat covers! (She knew I wanted the seat covers for my new car)
Second job - Blue topaz and diamond ring (still wear it today, 21 years later)
Third job - a horrible coat! My dad wore it for ages.
Fouth job - a fantastic camera and hard bodied suitcase and vanity case (nanny share)
Fifth job - A gold bracelet (Didn't like it at first but the children choose it and it grew on me)
Sixth job - £100 spa voucher (never used it, moved away from the area and it was non-transferable, a little bit sad that no thought had gone into it)
Seventh job - A white gold bangle with the childrens names engraved inside (love it!)
Eighth job - A portfolio album (was doing a photography course) and a zoom lense for my DSLR that they brought me for Christmas.

I think I did ok overall. The best thing from all of them was a letter saying thank you for everything, the kids will miss you and make sure you stay in touch!

metcalfvsv Tue 02-Apr-13 15:06:55

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

surfandturf Tue 02-Apr-13 16:25:37

I got a silver necklace with a forget me not flower encased in glass as the pendant. It is very simple and discreet but it made me cry as it was so thoughtful. They said they would never forget me and hoped I wouldn't forget them either (sob!)

clarasebal Wed 18-Sep-13 19:25:11

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Nannyme1 Wed 18-Sep-13 20:06:01

Surf and turf that sounds lovely! I love thoughtful gifts.

I've got over the years quite a few presents my favourite one being a silver bangle with the kids names engraved on the inside, I lost it at an airport (another present) and to this day I'm still sad!

I've got charms which I loved.

Photos which I sometimes love and still have around my house some were from families I only worked for a few months (temp job) so they are just in a draw.

At other family spent well over £2000 on a Christmas present for me one year was nice and don't get me wrong I love it but would have also liked something child made just as much! It was good though as if they gave me that as a bonus I wouldn't have done anything with it it was nice to get something I could never afford to buy myself.

Victoria2002 Wed 18-Sep-13 22:23:13

A camera, a tiffany necklace, an ipad, a Voucher for a swanky chain of hotels...was very welcome! Also notonthehighstreet.com do lots of personalised gifts and jewellery with kids pictures/names on etc so you might find something personalised but less obvious than a mug/framed pic (no offence nannynick)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now