Potential live labour thread...ooo

(96 Posts)
HappyGoLuckyGirl Tue 11-Jun-13 23:09:28

I'm exactly 40 weeks today and had my first contraction at about 9pm this evening.

I wouldn't have normally thought I was in labour (lots of umming and ahhing over the past two weeks) but since my first pain I've been on the loo 4 times and its what I can only think of as a 'clear out'.

Contraction every 20-25 minutes, lasting around 20 seconds so think I'm in for a loooong night.

lougle Tue 11-Jun-13 23:16:37

Rest while you can grin

HappyGoLuckyGirl Tue 11-Jun-13 23:17:46

Im bouncing on my ball at the min - terrified of getting into bed and my contractions stopping!

Exciting! Is this your first? I agree, rest while you can- if this is the real thing then resting won't stop it. Is your bag all packed?

welshfirsttimemummy Tue 11-Jun-13 23:42:00

Good luck!! grin

HappyGoLuckyGirl Wed 12-Jun-13 00:14:40

Yep first baby and everything is done, all bags packed etc!

My contractions seem to have stopped now sad gutted. Hoping I'm going to wake up with regular ones in the morning.

Hope you had an ok night.

farmersdaughter Wed 12-Jun-13 09:45:55

Ohhh how exciting.

Get plenty of rest, you'll need it later.

Hope you are feeling okay today? Have you spoken with your MW?

farmersdaughter Wed 12-Jun-13 17:57:01

Any update OP???

HappyGoLuckyGirl Wed 12-Jun-13 20:45:26

Hi everyone!

Contractions completely stopped last night and haven't had any more today sad

Going for a sweep tomorrow at 11am so hopefully that will get things going properly.

Has anyone else had a successful sweep?

I had two unsuccessful sweeps but that was because my cervix was still firmly closed and high. As I understand it, a sweep will only work if your cervix is favourable. So if you're not far off starting labour anyway then the sweep may be all you need to push you over the edge. Fingers crossed! Come back and update us. Good luck smile

Angelik Wed 12-Jun-13 22:20:32

the midwife shouldn't do a sweep if cervix not favourable as not only is it pointless but will be bloody painful!

I had sweep 3pm on monday, contracted for a bit that night (this was a regular feature in my pregnancy in the last couple of months after a threatened pre term labour at 32 weeks) but these died off. odd, sporadic contractions the next day then at midnight on tuesday. ..whoosh! 3 biggies in 10 minutes. my dh suggested phoning the hospital and i said sulkily that there wasn't any point as it would stop in a minute. fast forward 3 and half hours and i was holding my dd in my arms. so if your body is ready it will probably work.

Good luck!

HappyGoLuckyGirl Wed 12-Jun-13 23:15:48

Fingers crossed I'm favourable then. May jump on DP for good measure afterwards grin

I'll let you know how I get on (with the sweep, not the jumping!)

HappyGoLuckyGirl Thu 13-Jun-13 12:30:17

Good afternoon all smile

Sweep went fine, no where near as bad as some people had told me!

Cervix slightly posterior but very soft and about 1cm dilated so hopefully will set me off.

Got my induction date booked just in case, 23rd June. Hoping I wont need it.

Angelik Fri 14-Jun-13 08:44:03

you've gone quiet. does that mean all systems are/were go?

farmersdaughter Fri 14-Jun-13 15:38:14

Sending lots of positive 'baby get out' vibes to you Happy.

If you can keep us updated. X

HappyGoLuckyGirl Fri 14-Jun-13 20:29:25

I'm so fed up sad

Absolutely nothing has happened since my sweep apart from falling over and spraining my ankle!

So now I have a mighty good limp to go with my waddle.

Feeling thoroughly miserable. sad

Oh bless you, I remember how fed up I was when I was overdue. You've got loads of time before your induction date, fx that you get going on your own well before then x

lookingfoxy Fri 14-Jun-13 23:36:00

I'm so fed up as well and a complete misery to be around, twice I've been sure that's things starting then its not. I feel your pain !!!

HappyGoLuckyGirl Sat 15-Jun-13 03:03:46

When are you due, foxy?

lookingfoxy Sun 16-Jun-13 00:13:37

Hi I'm not due until Wednesday but have convinced myself I'll go early because it's my 2nd even though I was 8 days late first time !! Can you feel my desperation for this baby to arrive !!grin

HappyGoLuckyGirl Sun 16-Jun-13 00:23:12

Desperation is a strong motivator!

I've said that he would come about 41 weeks ish so he's got a few days to prove me wrong right grin

My induction date is a week tomorrow so I'm resigning myself to not going naturally. Trying to bluff my body into labour grin

lookingfoxy Sun 16-Jun-13 01:40:19

At least you'll have a week at most then, hopefully things may get going sooner for you
I'm at hosp on Monday and midwife said hopefully can do sweep if cervix right !
I thought last few weeks were the worst, I must have blocked the last few days from memory.

HappyGoLuckyGirl Sun 16-Jun-13 12:06:59

Yeah and if he comes before then its a bonus.

Oh, good luck for Monday then, hope all goes well and it sets you off smile

Sending both of you labour vibes for this week smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now