Anyone refuse stitches?

(36 Posts)
Allthatglitters789 Wed 05-Jun-13 21:57:20

Has anyone experienced a tear during childbirth and declined stitches? What was it like?

Splinters Tue 25-Jun-13 11:42:22

I'd written in my birth plan that I wanted to discuss avoiding stitches if I only had a minor wound that might heal on its own. DD came out with her hand by her head so I had a small 2nd degree tear. MW agreed it would probably be fine, and so it was -- healed in a week and has been fine ever since. I was very glad I hadn't had the extra punctures made by stitches!

After the horror of being stitched with dd, and the weeks of agony the stitches caused, I refused stitching with ds1 and ds2.

With ds1 I had labial tears, they healed in no time and didn't hurt at all.

With ds2 I had a small tear in my perineum [sp?] and although it hurt a bit more I put that down to the fact that he was in scbu and I was sitting on a hard chair 20 hours a day at his side and exerting myself more than if he'd been home and dp had been doing all the fetching and carrying. I drove 5 hours in 2 days just a few days after he was born as well which was sore, but would have been worse with stitches. It healed fine in the end though, and still quicker and with less pain than after dd

nannyl Fri 21-Jun-13 18:48:29

and yes students need to learn and practice and have a first attempt etc etc

but if Oscalito doesnt want to be stitched by a student that is her right to dictate that..... they will just have to learn on someone else

I choose not to let students do anything like that to me too.... so no bloods, no stitches, and also not present in my home at my home birth....

fine with weighing / blood pressure / checking urine / feeling my tummy etc etc, but ultimately its an individuals choice who we let do what...

In had a student midwife try to insert my IV line when in hospital for HG.... i just said "please can a qualified midwife do it" and that was that.... a simple sentance, and no stress.
Bear in mind i was very dehydrated and the student midwife couldnt even feel the vein she was aiming for, and the qualified midwife could..... and i have had lots of issues with even qualified midwives finding my veins, who then painfully fail and only a phlebotomist can do it!

mignonette Fri 21-Jun-13 09:50:11

How do you expect a Midwife to learn how to stitch then? The issue is not with students stitching but with insufficiently supervised students. How do you think that wonderful consultant embroiderer learned? He stitched as a student too.

Oscalito Fri 21-Jun-13 09:43:07

Notcitrus I would like to do this too. With my DS I was stitched by a consultant. It took him all of about five minutes and healed fine. But I have heard stories, including the one above, of being stitched up by a student midwife shock.

I just don't want a student of any description anywhere near a tear in that particular part of my anatomy. I'm due to give birth in a few months at a public teaching hospital and want to make clear that any stitches are not to be a learning experience for anyone... how did you word it? Did you have it in your birth plan? And how did they take it?

notcitrus Mon 17-Jun-13 18:03:34

Best advice I ever got from MN was to ask for an expert to do any stitching. I had 2 births with epidurals, second one it took them.about 40 min to decide how to stitch and to do it, but I didn't realise I had a 2nd degree tear both times until I read my notes - I felt fine within 48 hours! Midwives were very impressed.

If I hadn't already had epidurals I might have felt differently, but as there was some haemorrhaging with the first one, stitching was probably vital there.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 17-Jun-13 17:50:34

Yes I refused, but I only grazed so was given the option.

The mw told me how to look after myself and I was fine.

maxbear Mon 17-Jun-13 16:18:08

Having said hardly anyone ever refuses I had someone refuse for a moderate sized tear last week, it sat together well though and I expect it will probably heal.

Marykatharine When I stitch I am allowed to put in 20ml of lidocaine (local anaesthetic) I don't usually find I need to put this much in, for most women half of this much will be ok. It means that the stitches are not felt as they go in, as the whole area is so tender it is still bound to be a bit uncomfy though. I have had women chatting on their phone whilst being stitched, having skin to skin with the baby and even breastfeeding lying back, (I personally couldn't do that until my dc's were about 3 months old so I am always impressed when that happens!) Anyway, I find that most women are fairly comfy once the local is in place.

nannyl Sat 15-Jun-13 15:54:05

last time i was offered stitched and accepted the offer
(home birth) BUT they did say it would probably heal naturally too but i just didnt like the idea if it not being stitched...

I only needed 2 stitches which i had lieing on my sofa with gas and air.

TBH the stitches for me were so much worse than actual childbirth....

Im 39 weeks pg right now, and should the same happen again... and i have a small tear / graze which midwives are happy to let heal naturally i will choose to heal naturally

StiffyByng Thu 13-Jun-13 16:50:04

I had a second degree tear that was mostly internal. The midwife said it would heal better unstitched. The healing was straightforward but I now have an 'insufficient perineum' and may need an operation to correct it in the future.

Nicolaeus Thu 13-Jun-13 09:08:01

I had stitches and they were definitely more painful than giving birth (partly due to fact that the epidural had worn off, partly due to the incompetent student midwife - the nurse who took the stitches out (ow!) said they were really badly done) however I would do it again. Didn't even cross my mind to refuse.

Took ages though so DH had a lovely long cuddle with DS

I timed it at 40 minutes of stitching and lost count of stitches twenty minutes in at about 20...

So no bloody way grin

youaintallthat Thu 13-Jun-13 08:53:26

I had a forth degrees tear and lost about 60% of my blood volume I needed about 100 stitches so don't think I could have ./ would have refused. However it was done at Tameside hospital which was named alongside Stafford recently as one of the worst uk hospitals! And so far I've had 2 surgeries due to poor repair and awaiting at least another 2 surgeries.....also can no longer have vb with subsequent babies.....

Redbug Sun 09-Jun-13 18:31:43

I had a 3rd degree and bad cervical tear, was in theatre for two hours being stitched back together! Can't imagine why one would refuse, assuming no enormous concerns about quality of medical staff.

Coconutty Sun 09-Jun-13 17:14:00

I had an hours worth of stitches after DS1, inside and outside, every bloody where.

No way would I have refused, would have been madness.

cazboldy Sun 09-Jun-13 17:11:19

I had 2 stitches after my first - It hurt like mad at the time, and took ages to heal - I have to admit I know it sounds woossy, when you hear about people having loads of stitches, and inside and out etc, but it was horrible!

2nd time I didn't tear smile

3rd time, ds2 came very quickly, at home, before the mw had arrived, so there was noone to tell me not to push, pant etc, and I tore, though not horrifically. I was on such a high after his birth, and by the time the mw had got there, I didn't really feel like being pulled about - ds2 was already on the breast, and so she had a little look, advised I probably should have a few stitches, but I said no. she stayed for a while, and once the blood loss had slowed she was happy to leave it.

It healed better than the stitches IMO.

Numbers 4 and 5 no tears smile

Number 6 due early October, so fingers crossed no tears this time too!!!

piprabbit Sun 09-Jun-13 16:05:29

Why would an unstitched wound heal faster than a stitched one? I can't imagine the process - is there any research/articles I could read? Thanks.

kelda Sun 09-Jun-13 16:00:07

I had stitches each time. I had independant midwives, with 20years plus experience, one of who had spent a lot of time working in community midwifery in Africa without proper medical care. They all told me that it was better to stitch then not.

sparklekitty Sun 09-Jun-13 15:55:07

I has a massive episiotomy and was stitched inside and out for half an hour or so, doubt they would have let me refuse on the grounds that they'd be shoving my uterus back up inside within hours

MaryKatharine Sun 09-Jun-13 15:50:22

Yes, I refused 3 times. First one was 2nd degree and the other two 1st degree. The worst birthing horror stories I had heard revolved around stitching and it freaked me out far more than labour. Most people I have spoken to said they had nowhere near enough pain relief, some just offered gas and air!
maxbear, maybe you can comment on that. Is it normal just to offer gas and air? I mean, if you went to A&E and needed stitches they wouldn't expect you just to use G&A would they?

Fanjango Sun 09-Jun-13 15:46:30

I had a small second degree tear with my first DC. Refused stitches, mw said I'd made the right choice smile. Healed fine, sadly rather large tear after twins, one breech, and deffo needed the stitches grin

AuntPepita Sun 09-Jun-13 15:42:46

Yes, I refused. Query second degree, but the midwife was horrid and I was just not happy with her messing with me and I refused. Was less painful and healed quicker than the one stitch I had the time before.

maxbear Sun 09-Jun-13 15:32:51

I'm a midwife and we rarely see women that refuse stitches. I remember one lady who would not let me look afterwards.she was adamant she didn't want stitches. I ended up being her mw in her next pregnancy, she told me she wished she had had them as it didn't heal . If I needed stitches I personally would want to be put back together as I do think it gives the best chance of healing, a small tear might heal without stitches but many larger ones may result in a slightly larger opening if left. General thinking is that an unstitched tear will be more comfortable in the short term but may not heal as well. Everyone is different though, one size doesn't fit all!

capercaillie Wed 05-Jun-13 22:46:14

I had stitches after DS which was an episiotomy and tear.

2nd degree tear after DD (hand by head thank you). Midwife gave me choice of stitches or not (independent midwife). I refused stitches but had to promise not to go downstairs for a week and stay in bed for a week. I was happy to do that.
It was much less painful and healed much better

s0fedup Wed 05-Jun-13 22:43:14

i was told after ds2 that i didnt need to be stitched. I had to rest and it would heal by itself...
Fast forward 3 months, and ulcerated fanjo tjat required an operation under general to repair. Still not right.
Whatever u do, my advise no matter how small get them to sew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now