Those of you who laboured/gave birth in a pool...did you wear anything whilst in the water?

(40 Posts)
RightUpMyRue Fri 15-Mar-13 16:44:17

It seems like a bit of daft question, obviously when pushing the baby out you wouldn't have had any pants on but what about a top/bikini/tankini etc and what about before the pushing began?

I'm planning on being in the pool for most of my labour and birth but I don't know whether to get my kit off as soon as I arrive or not?

What's usual?

TheYamiOfYawn Fri 15-Mar-13 18:38:20

I'd just go with the flow. You get pretty warm in labour. DD was on dry land and I couldn't be bothered taking off my T-shirt. With DS, I flung all my clothes off and jumped into the pool. I found my bra under the fridge a week later.

Lizzy1975 Fri 15-Mar-13 18:50:38

I took a bikini top to wear, but just stripped off and got in, honestly once you're there you won't be fussed about what you have on and the water is so warm I would have been uncomfortable in clothing anyway.

Wuxiapian Fri 15-Mar-13 18:55:58

I stripped down to my bra and vest top when getting into the pool.

bigbadbarry Fri 15-Mar-13 18:58:04

Not a thing and I've had three! I did worry a bit about it beforehand (first time) as I am normally quite private, but I didn't give a monkeys.

Radiator1234 Fri 15-Mar-13 18:58:09

I was naked. I asked the MW what people do and she said some keep their top on but that just sounded like hassle getting it wet!

AndMiffyWentToSleep Fri 15-Mar-13 19:06:57

I was naked - in too much of a hurry to get in the pool to care!

barefootwalker Fri 15-Mar-13 19:12:25

I packed a tankini and an oversized T-shirt in my bag.....but arrived at the hospital 9cm dilated by which point all I wanted was to get in the water ASAP so just stripped and clambered in. I really didn't want any clothes on by the time I was there. I'd suggest packing something then you have the option either way.

barefootwalker Fri 15-Mar-13 19:13:53

Should also say that I LOVED the pool, it was amazing. Good luck with your birth grin

RightUpMyRue Fri 15-Mar-13 19:14:51

I'm thinking I'll probs be naked. I'm not worried about the MW seeing me, I'm not shy, but I will take a t-shirt and maybe a vest too. I don't have a tankini that would fit at the moment.

AmandaCooper Fri 15-Mar-13 22:00:39

Also wore my vest and socks - took socks off once I was in but kept the vest on simply because it was easier keeping it on than taking it off. I had a tankini in my bag but there was no earthly way I could have changed into it!

Phineyj Fri 15-Mar-13 22:02:03

Selection of DH's tshirts (was at home & he is much larger than me)

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Fri 15-Mar-13 22:04:03

started with tshirt but got cold so took it off.
warm water was so soothing I loved it.
so totally naked by the time babes were born.

DeathMetalMum Fri 15-Mar-13 22:22:30

I only laboured in the pool. I was in and out as it slowed down my contractions. First time wore a tankini top, but second and third time I was naked. Though I also found the water did loose temprature.

PunkyPod Sat 16-Mar-13 22:43:26

Totally naked. Got in at 6cm. It's what I'd planned all along. Just go with what's comfortable.

I wore a bra, but quickly got very annoyed with it and whipped it off. By that time I was also full of gas and air so was really enjoying being naked, and spend the rest of the labour (another 3 hours) naked!

When the MW intitally checked me an arrival and discovered I was only 2cm she said 'you can out your knickers back on now', I went 'do I have to??' I really liked having no clothes on :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now