first timer, home alone - should I text DP or wait till he gets home?

(60 Posts)
kalidasa Mon 19-Nov-12 14:52:27

I lost my mucus plug on Saturday (just clear jelly, no blood), had the odd twinge over the weekend and felt a bit strange, today I am having period-like pains which are getting gradually worse. Perfectly manageable atm though, and I'm only 38+3 so this could go on for days/weeks right? And even if it is the very beginning of actual labour it's almost certainly going to take a long time. So far have been getting some work done (have study at home) to distract myself. Any other tips for this stage - a hot water bottle maybe? should I stay still or try moving around? have a snack? DP should be home about 7.30 so is it reasonable not to bother him yet and see how things go?

Sorry for clueless questions. Have had such an horrendous pregnancy (very ill) that I haven't really focused on this bit!

Pickles77 Mon 19-Nov-12 19:12:58

Keep us updated smile

kalidasa Mon 19-Nov-12 19:25:43

Thanks! Tomorrow is going to be trickier to judge if I'm still in this state as DP has loads of teaching (he's a lecturer). Think he'll just have to keep his phone on while he lectures!

naturalbaby Mon 19-Nov-12 21:52:06

Have you got anyone nearby to go in with you if you need to and he's not there?

Make sure you get some sleep tonight!

shinyblackgrape Mon 19-Nov-12 22:37:25

Just popped in to say good luck! I'm 39 +3 with first DC and watching with interest!

kalidasa Mon 19-Nov-12 22:57:41

Getting worse now! But still not very impressive.

Jojoba1986 Mon 19-Nov-12 23:21:49

My contractions were never very spectacular! Just lots of tight feelings & then DS arrived! Try to relax & just let your body get on with it! Good luck!

Bearandcub Mon 19-Nov-12 23:25:03

If you are able to, sleep. Have you taken any paracetamol? Do you feel you need to?

Pickles77 Tue 20-Nov-12 04:19:16

Good luck grin

Pochemuchka Tue 20-Nov-12 04:25:09

Another one to wish you good luck!
(As I am wide awake in bed with pregnancy insomnia!)

vvviola Tue 20-Nov-12 05:55:38

When I was in hospital in "early stages" of labour (which actually weren't - got to 8cm without feeling proper contractions, but that was on No. 2, so don't panic!), I called DH at work, told him not to leave early & to go home first and have some dinner. My friend nearly hit the roof when she rang and he said he was home having dinner & I was in hospital. Wouldn't believe I'd told him to grin

He still made it in time for 2 hours of pacing & the "real" labour.

Wishing you lots of luck. Early evening here so I'll be around & following.

Slightly jealous really. Labour isn't exactly fun but I love the excitement & the realisation that it's nearly time to meet your baby smile

kalidasa Tue 20-Nov-12 06:40:50

Hello everyone. Managed to get some sleep, more than I expected. Pains seem much the same - sore and fairly regular but manageable. SPD is agonising though, can hardly stand up - think baby's head must now be right behind the pubic bone.

DP is going to go to work but with his phone on at all times. I think for the most part I'd rather be on my own at this stage, but will call him immediately of course if it starts to step up. It only takes him half an hour on the tube.

fluffacloud Tue 20-Nov-12 06:58:27

Morning OP

I camped out in a hot bath with a book, tea and snacks through most of the early stages. I wanted to get away from DP who kept asking for constant updates - Grrr!

I also made the mistake of telling my DM and a friend, they told everyone else so my phone didn't stop with people asking how things were going.

That was all with DD1 though, when DD2 was on the way DP sat on the sofa watching a movie and laughing while I was pacing and in pain - he nearly got a right hook to the nose grin

I hope things move along for you and good luck!

Bearandcub Tue 20-Nov-12 07:10:50

Morning Kalidasa,

Glad you got some sleep. How far away is your hospital/ MLU? I'd give them a ring if you're in pain.

Pleased to hear things are progressing. Good Luck!

kalidasa Tue 20-Nov-12 07:16:40

Hospital is v. close - just at the end of the street. 5 mins at most in a cab. So not too stressed about that. I don't think DP really believes it is happening as I am v. calm.

Welovecouscous Tue 20-Nov-12 07:23:33

Sounds like you are doing fantastically well.

My DH didn't believe I was in labour either - he thought I was too relaxed!

I found walking around when I had a contraction really helped and waving my hands around. Don't forget to eat little bits if you can as it's good to have fuel for the work of labour.

Indith Tue 20-Nov-12 07:55:43

You sound like you are doing brilliantly smile Keep trusting your instincts and remember all these pains are bringing your baby further down and closer to being born.

NarcolepsyQueen Tue 20-Nov-12 08:18:46

You can take paracetamol!

shinyblackgrape Tue 20-Nov-12 08:59:54

Well done! Yes - I think I'd feel like you re DH. Sometimes it's good to be on your own and get in the zone a bit.

Sorry about the SPD. Can you get in the bath for a bit and then maybe on your ball or is it too sore?

kalidasa Tue 20-Nov-12 10:10:43

Thanks everyone. Don't have a ball. Did try one at NCT class but too sore so we didn't get one. Had some quite bad cramps an hour or so ago but seems to have eased off a bit again now. Anyway, have got up and taken some paracetamol. DP left for work at about 8 but is on high alert! Feel a bit sorry for him really, must be quite hard to go off to work and try to concentrate. Trying to stay calm and rested and not exhaust myself by aggravating the pain in my pelvis. Also, if DP can get through his classes today there'll be less for him to rearrange so I'm not in a huge hurry.

naturalbaby Tue 20-Nov-12 11:26:38

I only used the ball to lean over onto, knees on the floor, to keep hips moving. I also have a breakfast bar just the right height so spent a lot of time leaning on that.
Well done on the sleep!

Pochemuchka Tue 20-Nov-12 11:36:24

Sounds like you are doing great! Wish I had been as calm and collected as you for my first birth smile

kalidasa Tue 20-Nov-12 11:50:19

I'm sure I won't be so calm and collected when it really gets going!

naturalbaby Tue 20-Nov-12 14:28:25

If you've been calm and collected up to that point then focus on your breathing and staying in that calm 'zone'. I counted through each contraction and focused so much on that I stayed calm all the way to the end.
Try not to let your mind wander to the what if's, just focus on what's going on at the present time.

MustafaCake Tue 20-Nov-12 14:43:28

Good luck kalidasa you are doing great, so calm and collected!

Remember to rest as much as possible and keep eating (Hyperemesis permitting).

Hope to check back soon and find a baby has arrived!!

CailinDana Tue 20-Nov-12 16:28:51

Any news?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now