ELCS recovery - how long did yours take?

(58 Posts)
Angelico Fri 12-Oct-12 22:44:06

Hi smile Had ELCS just over 2 weeks ago for first baby. Having had previous surgery (but not abdominal) I was shocked at how painful it was, especially the first week after. Wasn't helped by crap painkillers because of breastfeeding hmm

Much more manageable now - can cook, clean, look after baby (bathing her is hard so letting DH do that) but walking for more than a hundred metres is sore and wouldn't dare push buggy etc or walk with baby yet - probably another week or two for that.

Just wondered how long it took others to recover and before you felt 'normal' physically?

Angelico Sun 04-Nov-12 14:01:08

How are you doing Eliza? Hope you're home and feeling a bit better, MW sounds like an idiot making you turn from side to side as there is a definite knack to it post-CS hmm

Nearly 6 weeks now and things definitely turned the corner last week thankfully. Still being careful with lifting but am comfortable most of the time with just the odd couple of hours where I twinge / burn etc. Hoping the worst is over... Fingers crossed!

This thread is making md panic, had stitches with both dc sore but up doing half hour school run walk the next day. I have no partner to help and no help other than if I send other dc yo childminders everyday fur s few weeks (v expensive whilst in mat leave) or is thus something I should be considering doing ?

Frightened if a section thus time (due to s medical condition grr) didn't even blink really at it last time but reading this starting to freak out somewhat!!

Angelico Sun 04-Nov-12 23:18:40

Carrie don't freak out - you can see that people have had a real variety of experiences, some heal very quickly. I also think that people who already have kids probably have to just get on with it more - but do accept whatever help you can get. If you read what meglet wrote up above you'll see she made a point of allowing herself to heal. I'm hoping that although I've been sore I'll heal well for the longterm (ie no hernias etc).

Angelico Thu 22-Nov-12 20:51:56

Bumping this as want to update but need to feed DD! smile

RarelyUnreasonable Fri 23-Nov-12 21:56:00

I had one today so this thread is v useful! Just waiting for the meds to be brought around and could not contemplate getting out of bed!

elizaregina Sat 24-Nov-12 12:15:34

whatever any of you do due after a section - take it very very carefully when turning and moving, i didnt get the leaflet on how to turn until three weeks after surgery !!! if i hadnt made a stupid big turn - which was probably a really forceful twist i wouldnt have had any pain or problems AT ALL.

the bed was really really soft and i fell into the middle of it - and had to struggle to move in it - hence the dramatic big turn!

also read your notes and make sure they are correct - the mw - didnt write down the turn - and that it took me ages to inch back to my back! I did though.

you can MOVE after op - wiggle toes - rotate ankles - lift torso up and down just dont twist.

newby2 Tue 27-Nov-12 17:18:08

Gosh ladies, there are some cautionary tales out there. I had a emerge c sec 2 years ago and don't remember any out of the ordinary pain. I honestly had no problems at all. I think the pre-eclampsia took over and I was so focussed on keeping my baby alive (and me) I completely forgot about myself.

Due elec section in 2 weeks, have read through this thread so don't get lulled into false sense of security with the first one. Will take it easy!!

Angelico Tue 27-Nov-12 20:54:45

Well, back to update - meant to do it a few days ago. I had started feeling a good bit better between weeks 2 and 3, then got sore again week 4. Long story short - I had a blood clot in my womb which was causing low level infection. Didn't realise this at all (GP didn't pick up on it at visit at 4 weeks for big gush of blood although in fairness she knew I would be going for PN check up). Perked up week 5 when I had some blocked ducts and because of low level sweats / fever / nausea OOH doc thought I had borderline mastitis and gave me ABs. Had a second course of ABs the following week (week 6)and felt great, out and about, lifting things, driving etc.

As it turned out the infection wasn't in boobs at all but in uterus. Had PN check last Thurs (at 8 weeks post CS), had a scan as never stopped bleeding and large clot was just sitting in womb. Had to have a D&C to remove it and think they also scraped uterus out. Apparently this is less common after a CS than it is after a VB but there were 3 of us in having it done that day at a small local hospital so fairly common.

Anyway moral of story: if you start feeling better then go backwards you might just have overdone it (as I thought I had) BUT you might have infection. My incision is perfect - the infection was inside and thus invisible and if you are BFing and getting boob issues that can confuse things as GPs etc tend to immediately blame the boobs and assume it's mastitis.

Wishing everyone speedy recoveries from CS thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now