Maintain privacy with a swim skirt at water birth

(106 Posts)
Thinkmummy Tue 02-Oct-12 14:08:01

Just wanted to pass on my findings to other mums to be wanting a waterbirth. Now I probably won't care about covering up in the middle of labour, but just in case I wanted something to wear in the birthing pool. I'm going with my maternity tanking top and this swim skirt I found on sports direct

www.sportsdirect.com/ocean-pacific-swim-skirt-ladies-350028

. It has no crotch so ideal for the job and a bargain at £5 they do cheaper ones for £1.99 if you're not fussed about colour. The waistband in stretchy so have just gone a size up from what I normally am. Hth x

Fairylea Tue 02-Oct-12 14:11:46

This is the most bizarre thing ever.

If you're giving birth you honestly won't care if they entire England football team saw your vagina.

It really isn't worth worrying about. SurelyIt will be blurred under the water anyway ???

needanswers Tue 02-Oct-12 14:12:57

I was about to say you won't care!! And the warm water on naked skin is very soothing

Herrena Tue 02-Oct-12 14:13:47

Oh, this makes me laugh. Is it your first baby?

I really don't intend to sound so patronising, but I think I flashed top and bottom to about 50 people (NOT conservative estimate) during my first labour and honestly didn't notice at the time!!

Only flashed 6 or 7 at the next labour though wink

If this makes you happy then go for it smile

jkklpu Tue 02-Oct-12 14:14:25

biscuit

Wolfiefan Tue 02-Oct-12 14:15:27

Haha! I always strip in labour!

Thinkmummy Tue 02-Oct-12 14:16:12

May be a bit obvious then that I'm a first timer and you ladies are speaking from experience. I just thought it would give me a little more dignity but like you say I probably won't end up caring anyway but for that price at least it's there if I feel I need it especially in the first stage of labour.

I wouldn't have cared if the entire population of great britain had seen my bits during my first labour, as long as they got her out.

Who are you covering up for? I mean the midwife etc is going to have to look-and internally examine you. I don't see how a swim skirt can prevent that.

That said, if that is how you are comfortable, good for you.

Anypointinseeingdoc Tue 02-Oct-12 14:17:20

Aww, bless, I remember when I had dignity too.

Fairylea Tue 02-Oct-12 14:17:21

With my first baby I had 7 people in the room, legs akimbo with them poking me about trying to ascertain if I was fully dilated.

Even with my elective c section with ds 4 months ago I had about 8 people wandering about while they popped a catheter in. No one batted and eyelid. And for the record I'm as bald as a Christmas turkey down there.

MousyMouse Tue 02-Oct-12 14:17:21

maintain? privacy? during labour?
grin grin grin

SavoyCabbage Tue 02-Oct-12 14:17:47

I bet you end up chewing it off with your teeth. It will be riding up and, well, it will never be where you want it to be.

Blu Tue 02-Oct-12 14:18:32

LOL.

You will be screeching 'get this bloody clingy annying cloth off me NOW!'

Who do you think will be there apart from your midwife and birth partner? (often the baby's dad). Have you invited Hello magazine?

Herrena Tue 02-Oct-12 14:18:36

Go with whatever makes you happy for the first labour you'll be too disillusioned to bother for the next one

Oh and do leave the bloody Enya CDs at home!!

needanswers Tue 02-Oct-12 14:18:51

If it makes you more comfy - go for it!!

I loved my water birth - it's soclovely once you hit that water smile

Blu Tue 02-Oct-12 14:20:51

Seriously, OP - giving birth is a dignified process in and of itself - you are a woman, giving birth - what would you need to hide? Give birth with pride!

Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck.

A different perspective - my MIL was present for a significant part of my labour. I was interested in maintaining my privacy.

Thinkmummy Tue 02-Oct-12 14:23:22

Reading your comments makes me relax a lot more about being naked. smile the closest I've got to a birth is watching it on these documentary program's, understandably they tend to be more covered up on there. I was thinking that's the norm! Talk about being naive.

ShirtyKnot Tue 02-Oct-12 14:24:54

grin

HalleLouja Tue 02-Oct-12 14:25:06

Dignity. I will let you know when I find mine.....

heliotrope Tue 02-Oct-12 14:25:24

I fear it will float on the top of the pool anyway so people still see your bits. On the other hand why not start off with something to wear, especially if you have to get in and out of pool.
There was that amazing (lucky!) lady (the fashion designer one) on One Born a while ago who had her special bikini and made it all look elegant.
Personally I stripped off and jumped in. Have very rude photos to prove it as DP went a bit OTT with capturing every angle and moment of baby's exit (was on all fours in pool)!

OpheliasWeepingWillow Tue 02-Oct-12 14:25:38

The thing is, you can prepare as much as you like but you won't know until you are actually in labour. I say buy or do whatever makes you more comfortable now and if when you are giving birth you want to do it starkers or wearing a housecoat then that's fine too.

hellymelly Tue 02-Oct-12 14:26:03

honestly dignity goes out of the window. By the time several different people in the room had tried (and failed) to find my cervix, with others looking on, my dignity was long gone. On the bright side it does give you a good "couldn't care less" attitude for breast feeding when out and about!

needanswers Tue 02-Oct-12 14:26:30

As the midwife was saying - you can get in the pool now - by the time she got to "pool" I was already stripped and in there - leaving a trial of clothes behind me!!

That made her giggle - she turned round to finish her sentence and I was gone smile

Fairylea Tue 02-Oct-12 14:27:28

You'll be fine smile honestly you just totally zone out and don't give a flying monkeys what's going on.

As for a mil at the birth as one poster said .... omg ..you must be on better terms with yours - that would be enough to make me cross my legs forever !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now