Snapchat

(17 Posts)
newnickname1234 Sat 11-Jan-14 21:02:16

My 10-year-old DD has just set up a Snapchat account having been told how to do so by her friend. I had heard of Snapchat, but knew nothing about it until a bit of googling just now, from which I gather that it's a way of sending photos and messages and that it is popular because you can set it for your message to "disappear" after a short length of time. I have also learnt that the message/photo may not disappear because (a) the recipient may take a screen shot of it and (b) the data is still there to be retrieved by those who know how to do these things.

According to my DD, people can only send her messages if she has given them her details. Is that correct? Or is it the case that (like e-mail) a user may receive spam from someone to whom the user has never given her address.

TeamSouthfields Sat 11-Jan-14 21:05:31

somehow, don't know how, people u have never spoken to and never have contact with u can send.a picture/video to u.. last week I got sent a picture of a penis by someone I didn't know and asked if I wanted to play... angry angry

Rosencrantz Sat 11-Jan-14 21:13:02

No spam. You set it to only receive snaps from your friends. Likewise, people will have to know your daughters username to find her.

Keeping her safe here is about the friends she keeps. Nice friends, nice pictures.

Rosencrantz Sat 11-Jan-14 21:13:55

Teamsouthsheilds, that is because you have your settings set to 'receive snaps from anyone'

Clicking settings will alter that for you.

newnickname1234 Sat 11-Jan-14 21:14:52

OK, thanks. Definitely not suitable for a 10-year-old then, unless there is some foolproof way to prevent messages being received from strangers.

newnickname1234 Sat 11-Jan-14 21:16:30

Sorry. Cross-posted there. So it can be set to be safe for a 10-year-old (assuming DD is mature enough to only give her details out to friends which I believe she is).

ClaimedByMe Sat 11-Jan-14 21:16:41

Jeez how do 10 year olds know how to do this, I tried setting up a snap chat thingy today and nearly had a meltdown, when I eventually got it set up I couldn't work out how to add friends or send a pic!

I probably should have asked my 10 year old.

newnickname1234 Sat 11-Jan-14 21:17:27

Sorry, meant to end that last post with a question mark! Any further responses gratefully received!

Rosencrantz Sat 11-Jan-14 21:19:58

Honestly with the right settings, snapchat is fine. So much fun.

I use it daily with my friends. Never had I received a penis. Only cats and babies!

Snapchat is for children 13 years and over. I would not let a 10 year old use it.
www.snapchat.com/static_files/parents.pdf

TeamSouthfields Sat 11-Jan-14 21:20:57

No, my.settings are for 'friends' only!! and still receive pictures from other randoms!

CointreauVersial Sat 11-Jan-14 21:25:24

The DDs (12 and 10) both have Snapchat.

Both have it set so they only receive pics from people they know, and this is a pool of around 15 people at the moment. I just asked DD1 and she confirms this.

The pics disappear after a short time; yes, you could keep a snapshot if you moved fast enough, but, as with any Internet use, it is crucial that your children understand the implications and pitfalls; education is key.

Rosencrantz Sat 11-Jan-14 21:27:40

South..l sorry but that is impossible.

I suggest deleting your app and re downloading it. Something is obviously going wrong on your end.

TeamSouthfields Sat 11-Jan-14 21:33:04

IT'S NOT.IMPOSSIBLE! IT HAPPENS.TO ME... BUT IT'S COOL, IF YOU DON'T THINK THIS HAPPENS, IT'S COOL.... I HONESTLY HOPE CHILDREN.NEVER RECEIVE ANYTHING INAPPROPRIATE

Rosencrantz Sat 11-Jan-14 21:34:27

Caps is a bit much. Have you checked your settings though? Did you accept a friend request from a stranger? biscuit

TeamSouthfields Sat 11-Jan-14 22:12:43

I have checked my settings,. yes, and no, I haven't accepted random friend.requests

jamil Thu 24-Jul-14 20:31:46

well she can send photos to any one and post stuff on her Snapchat story this is more of an issue of trusting your daughter to use it risposibaly I have tons of fun with my freind (I'm thertteen) all you have to do is teach and educate her about the dangers and keep look out but you don't want to invade her privacy make her awre if someone sends her something offensive or explicit that she can tell you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now