Where can I learn about Internet safety?

(10 Posts)
RustyBear Thu 04-Apr-13 19:32:15

The thinkuknow site Sarah referred to is here

Sarahdm Thu 04-Apr-13 19:26:15

There is a great website for parents and professionals called Thinkuknow which has lots of suggestions on how to have those difficult conversations with children. It is really hard to reign back in once they get to the teenage years and are so much more savvy than most of us!

At the end of the day don't forget that it is us parents that pay for the internet to be piped into our homes and it is our duty to protect our children as much as possible.

I have two sons aged 14 and 20 and they constantly out-smart both my husband and I with their knowledge just like countless other families I am sure!

PigletJohn Thu 28-Feb-13 17:46:01

I don't like providing my email in case it is harvested by spammers.

Who are you?

safesurfkids Thu 28-Feb-13 17:31:19

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

safesurfkids Thu 28-Feb-13 17:31:00

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NeedHoliday Thu 21-Feb-13 11:44:13

That's exactly what I'm worried about John. How do I stop that happening? Skype you do not have to display video you can simply chat / message.

He is sensible enough not to post video or photo however he is blindingly convinced it is all safe I'm not convinced...

NeedHoliday Thu 21-Feb-13 11:41:32

Thanks for link to guide I will study it later.

I have the parental controls that were installed on laptop when it came. These tend to be age restrictions on sites visited, time restrictions etc. It does not however screen YouTube videos and will not let me block certain sites.

He is way more Internet savvy than me I need to catch up fast!

PigletJohn Thu 21-Feb-13 11:38:10

"Hello, JuniorNeed, my names Samantha. I think I go to a school near you. I'm 11 too, here's a picture of me playing netball. Have you got a pic?"

?who am I really?

lljkk Thu 21-Feb-13 10:49:50

MN guide ain't bad start.

Skype is alright by me, at least he can see the people he's talking to & read their body language.

Some minecraft servers are safer than others.

I think the main thing is to teach him skills to filter out bad guys for himself. So

Lesson 1: people can easily lie online. Don't just take anyone's word for it.

Lesson 2: anything you write or say or post online (even in a private message), you may as well publish it in the national newspapers. It's out there FOREVER.

Do you really have no parental controls at the moment (?!). <<Mind Boggles>>

K9 is great, I love it. But just one layer in many that ideally you should have.

NeedHoliday Thu 21-Feb-13 10:24:23

My ds(age 12) is always on minecraft or Skype. I found out the other day he has been online with people he doesn't know. I have tried discussing the dangers of taking to people online we don't know but his answer is he uses an alias so no one knows who he really is.

He is way more technical than me and I have no idea how to keep him safe or whether I am over reacting!.

At the moment I have simply stopped him going online at all, although this isn't going to be very practical in the long term.

So any suggestions please:
Is minecraft safe?
Is Skype safe?
What is the best software for parental control?
Am I overreacting??

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now