Any YouTube child friendly setting?

(14 Posts)
Sprogtube Wed 23-Jul-14 00:12:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

weevilswobble Sat 21-Jan-12 08:12:20

Perhaps you could get a pile of books for your 2.5 yr old.

Brussells Tue 17-Jan-12 16:53:25

Nothing but parental supervision is going to 'filter' out that kind of content.

BertieBotts Tue 17-Jan-12 15:46:39

The safe search doesn't filter out thinks like the spoof cartoon voiceovers, though, so it's fairly pointless.

Brussells Mon 16-Jan-12 11:36:06

Youtube has a safe search facility built in, which you can lock in place with your account. It can only then be unlocked by that specific account which locked it, for that browser. You'll have to watch out for different browsers being installed, or used however.

You can find the safe search option right at the very bottom of the front page of Youtube.

RustyBear Sun 15-Jan-12 09:35:19

The advantage of disallowing YouTube instead of removing it is that you can still watch yourself by putting in the password.

CrystalTits Sun 15-Jan-12 09:31:58

You can also install a child-friendly browser such as Safe Browser by Mobicip (download from the App Store), then use Restrictions to disable Safari. I've done this for my DS's iPod Touch and so far it's working well!

RustyBear Sun 15-Jan-12 09:17:31

You can remove YouTube altogether by going to Settings-General -Restrictions. Tap Enable Restrictions and you will be asked for a password. You can then disallow YouTube and various other options, including in-app purchases, which is also a good idea if you allow young children to use an iPad or iPhone.

You can also set a ratings level for videos, but I'm not sure if YouTube videos are rated in this way.

CaptainMartinCrieff Sun 15-Jan-12 09:15:04

You will still be able to access it through safari though.

CaptainMartinCrieff Sun 15-Jan-12 09:14:08

Just take the you tube app off, it's the only way... We had a similar incident involving the tellytubbies.
Hold down on the you tube app until it wobbles and a cross above it appears, click on the cross and it's gone!

BertieBotts Sun 15-Jan-12 09:11:42

There aren't any, the best way to do it is to use an external site/program, like kideo or totlol. I think some of them you have to pay for.

Youtube's own controls seem a bit rubbish, really. It seems everything is flagged as okay for all ages until it's picked up on which means stuff falls through the net a lot. Whereas the other sites, videos have to be certified as okay for children before they are allowed on.

Im also trying to figure out how to set parental controls on my iPhone - cant see any options to do so. Dd loves watching songs and kiddie stuff on YouTube so some settings are necessary I think

Jesusgirl Sun 17-Jul-11 11:07:09

Or does anyone know how I can take off YouTube from the iPad and iPhone. I wouldn't want her to stop using the iPad altogether just for her not to go on YouTube.

Jesusgirl Sun 17-Jul-11 10:56:40

My 31month old has managed to figure out how to use the iPad and frequently goes on YouTube to watch peppa pig. Sometimes she clicks on some modified P.pig videos eg- peppa pig eats little brother, peppa pig killed.
We now try to keep the iPad away from her but then she has lots of educational games on it.
So I was wondering if there was any parental control setting or anything like that on you tube. Just something to block out any inappropriate videos.
Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now