This topic is for registered charities to post about their organisation or campaigns. PLEASE NOTE: Mumsnet does not check/endorse any of the charities posting here, and folk considering donating funds should be aware that they do so at their own risk.

To be disappointed (royal baby related)..

(111 Posts)
curlew Wed 24-Jul-13 08:13:40

...that I started a thread asking for people to make donations to Maternity Worldwide while Kate was in labour and only 6 people did?

How do you know that 6 people donated? Is that how many people said they had on the thread? Others may have done but not posted. There was a link to that page doing the rounds on FB too, along with other charities who work to improve childbirth conditions in developing countries.

People aren't obliged to donate just cos you ask them to. Yab completely u.

crashdoll Wed 24-Jul-13 08:53:46

I have a limited pot of money that goes to charity because I have a limited pot of money in general atm. It's not my charity of choice, so YABU. Also, I hate chugging and guilt tripping.

In theory it's a nice idea for those - like me - interested in the royal birth to consider donating to a maternity charity for other less fortunate mothers and babies around the world.

But, having briefly considered it, I have to say as I do to all charity requests ATM that we have no funds to do this - especially with two DCs to entertain for the upcoming 6 week summer holiday !

If that thought does occur to anyone then they may feel able to choose their own charity - such as Save the Children, Water Aid, Oxfam etc.
Or specific maternity charities like Maternity Alliance.

Like many posters I do prefer to consider myself which charities I'd like to support. I wish I had the funds to support more than I do, but I always do what I can.

An old friend I know feels obliged to give to every charity that asks him.
But I feel, in the modern world with so many charity requests, you have to take a more pro-active and assertive approach really.

SkinnybitchWannabe Wed 24-Jul-13 09:00:07

I have no spare money and when I have I donate where and when I want too.
Race for Life has cost me loads this month.
YABVU

LadyBryan Wed 24-Jul-13 09:01:47

YABVU

Charity is a very personal thing.

MissStrawberry Wed 24-Jul-13 09:02:19

I didn't see the original thread but while it is fine to be disappointed it is not fine to try and make people feel bad for not donating.

noblegiraffe Wed 24-Jul-13 09:02:35

People interested in raising money for charity usually do a bit more than simply post a link. If you can't be arsed to do proper fundraising, don't be surprised when people can't be arsed to respond to your effort.

Anyway, I was on MN most of yesterday (I'm on maternity leave) and I didn't see your post, so you didn't do a very good job of publicising.

TheFallenNinja Wed 24-Jul-13 09:03:04

On the basis of your ridiculous OP I wouldn't donate.

iliketea Wed 24-Jul-13 09:07:14

YABU - how do you know it's only 6 people? is that just the number who said they donated, it may well have been mors people who didn't want to announce it on a thread. And secondly, just because you feel strongly about a charity does not mean everyone else has too.

Actually, it's a really mean-spirited to start a thread berating the mumsnet community for not donating as you see fit. In fact it's just bloody rude.

OP, do you now think yabu?

DowntonTrout Wed 24-Jul-13 09:13:49

I have had enough of chuggers on the high street, never mind people starting asking for donations to charity on here.

In London you are accosted by them on a daily basis, someone at the station, someone on the corner, someone outside the supermarket, plus the homeless people begging. If I gave a fiver to everyone who asked I could easily have no money left.

YABVU to berate people. I support the Alzheimer's Society, British Heart Foundation and the local hospice because they are personal to me. That is my choice.

Edendance Wed 24-Jul-13 09:14:16

Having spent over £100 this month (with a potential new carpet looming) due to my charity work for a cat charity, that's more charity money than I'd hope to spend in a year.

Charity is not a competition and should be up to the individual if they want to and if they can help. Anyone demanding for cash from me usually guarantees my lack of support.

JambalayaCodfishPie Wed 24-Jul-13 09:15:42

Yabu. Are you insane?

Have you read the threads where people are struggling to feed their kids as they don't get a free school meal during the holidays?

Shame because its probably a decent charity - and you've succeeded in pissing enough people off that they won't even open the link. Well done you!

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 24-Jul-13 09:22:19

People with spare money are probably spending it on giving their children a summer filled with outings and trips. Yabu.

TheFallenNinja Wed 24-Jul-13 09:25:53

How to singlehandedly damage a charity 101.

RoseFlowerFairy Wed 24-Jul-13 09:29:07

I am fed up of being asked for money. If I want to give it I will to a cause that interests me at that time. All this begging for charity is getting like cold calling sales men.

Bowlersarm Wed 24-Jul-13 09:31:58

YABU

I have my favourite charities which I give to.

Then i have my DC, wider family, lots of friends asking for sponsorship for activities they are doing for lots of worthy causes.

I haven't room for another one.

aldiwhore Wed 24-Jul-13 09:32:33

I had a spare fiver, I gave it to Alzheimer's UK. I'm disappointed you didn't curlew

YABVU.

Attitudes like yours work against fundraising, you magically closed purses with your op.

HeffalumpTheFlump Wed 24-Jul-13 09:36:24

I don't think yabu to post the original thread (not sure about how it fits with the guidelines though), but this one? Yabvvvu!! You gave people the choice to donate, people assessed their own situations and made a decision. It's not up to you to decide if that decision was right or wrong.

This is worse than chuggers IMO, as once someone says no to a chugger, they dont have a go at them the next day for their decision!!

HeffalumpTheFlump Wed 24-Jul-13 09:38:12

Oh and I didn't see your original thread, so yabu to think all of mn did!

valiumredhead Wed 24-Jul-13 09:38:44

Attitudes like yours work against fundraising, you magically closed purses with your op

Agree.

I give to charity, don't try and guilt trip people into giving, that's shitty.

Burmobasher Wed 24-Jul-13 09:44:32

I support one particular charity that I feel passionately about. If everybody on MN donated a fiver they could do so much good work but I wouldn't dream of asking.
If I have any spare pennies once my family have been fed and the bills paid it goes to them.
Yalu

Burmobasher Wed 24-Jul-13 09:45:21

yabu

YABVVVU -
I am actually shocked that you have started a thread complaining that people haven't donated.
Now I know the name of the charity for ALL the wrong reasons. How rude.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now