This topic is for registered charities to post about their organisation or campaigns. PLEASE NOTE: Mumsnet does not check/endorse any of the charities posting here, and folk considering donating funds should be aware that they do so at their own risk.

To be disappointed (royal baby related)..

(111 Posts)
curlew Wed 24-Jul-13 08:13:40

...that I started a thread asking for people to make donations to Maternity Worldwide while Kate was in labour and only 6 people did?

Some of us are on the bones of our arses. Please don't berate folk. Tvm.

curlew Wed 24-Jul-13 08:26:13

I'm not berating anyone. Yes of course some people have no money. But really? Only 6 people on all of Mumsnet with a fiver to spare?

poopyisapig Wed 24-Jul-13 08:27:10

DH and I are trying very hard to keep our own family afloat at the moment, I have nothing spare to donate to anything. The same goes for millions of other families.

poopyisapig Wed 24-Jul-13 08:27:59

(and some people who do have a spare fiver just may not want to).

Shakirasma Wed 24-Jul-13 08:34:07

Most families in the uk are on a tight budget at the moment.

There are thousands of worthwhile charities out there desperate for funds and I think that most people are charitable, but we pick and choose who we donate to because if we gave to every charity who asked then we would end up bankrupt.

To express your disappointment that only a few people have donated to your charity of choice smacks of guilt tripping and quite frankly is rather shitty of you.

I didnt see your thread yesterday, but I wont click on it today. That's not because I'm mean or selfish or uncaring; it's because I come on mn in my downtime, to relax, and asking me to donate to a specific charity that you feel strongly about (as opposed to several I feel strongly about and have researched myself) is a bit like a chugger accosting me on the street when all I'm doing is minding my own business.

bearleftmonkeyright Wed 24-Jul-13 08:34:27

I can't donate at the moment, but you have alerted me to their work. I had not heard of the organization. Clearly they run amazing, much needed projects. I will try and look at donating in the future. I am overdrawn and have loads of bills need sorting, no money to entertain kids.

You're whining about people not coughing up money? , perhaps they didn't read the thread, you know there being loads of threads and all that!hmm

Do you think this thread will make people do it or perhaps put them off after being badgered about it..

Onesleeptillwembley Wed 24-Jul-13 08:34:57

Why not just be pleased that 6 people contributed.

insanityscratching Wed 24-Jul-13 08:34:59

People choose the causes they wish to support. That cause isn't one I'd choose to support and Kate being in labour wouldn't change my mind about that either. YANBU to be disappointed but YABU to expect others to donate to a cause of your choosing.

Lambzig Wed 24-Jul-13 08:35:45

This is forum chugging. Just because you support a charity doesn't mean all of us should.

chickensaladagain Wed 24-Jul-13 08:37:45

Well that's £30 the charity didn't have yesterday!

Yesterday I was raiding the back of the sofa for milk money, school holidays and I don't get paid until Friday

I feel bad enough about not donating to charity but my income has not gone up for 6 years so something's have had to give

livinginwonderland Wed 24-Jul-13 08:37:47

I don't like being told which charities to donate to.

98percentchocolate Wed 24-Jul-13 08:38:26

My DH has £3 in the bank to last until next week. I have £17 left to last the next MONTH and I need to buy food with that. We have spent the last week wondering what the hell to do until DH's work sorts out the mess they made with his pay. I would love to donate to a very worthy cause and had planned to when we had more money until I saw this. Now I feel awful and I'm not so inclined to do so. YABU.

Dackyduddles Wed 24-Jul-13 08:38:54

Id be glad 6 bothered tbh. There's a lot of charities and not much money about.

Sure there's rules on this. Maybe reread guidelines?

Onesleeptillwembley Wed 24-Jul-13 08:40:02

It wouldn't be a charity I would want to support, and as said upthread, The new baby wouldn't change that in the slightest.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 24-Jul-13 08:40:05

Yabu for expecting everyone to care about what you care about

wigglesrock Wed 24-Jul-13 08:40:59

I assume you're taking the piss, otherwise catch yourself on, and stop complaining about what people do with their own money.

Golferman Wed 24-Jul-13 08:42:22

Sorry charity begins at home. It really annoys me when people push this stuff down your throat. Especially those fucking adverts on Sky.

XBenedict Wed 24-Jul-13 08:42:37

Yes you are, incredibly u.

Sirzy Wed 24-Jul-13 08:44:36

YABU.

I donate to charities when I want to, not when I am told too.

insanityscratching Wed 24-Jul-13 08:44:42

Maybe you could donate a quid for every YABU you receive and we could all support you that way?

Yabu. If everyone posted about a charity they were passionate about, the threads would be full of nothing else.
Starting a Aibu thread about it to raise profile / more funds is totally unreasonable.

GladbagsGold Wed 24-Jul-13 08:45:42

What everyone else said. My (miniscule) charity budget has all gone to Cancer UK this month. Is that ok with you? Should I ask everyone on MN to also donate to them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now