advice for first car?

(11 Posts)
ALovelyBunch0fCoconuts Sat 22-Mar-14 15:09:10

I haven't passed my test yet but I'm trying to decide what to go for.

obviously ill be a first time driver so need a low insurance group and preferably £30 tax or lower.

I am 27 (or I will be by the time I pass grin ) and have 2 kids, almost 6 & almost 3.

car will be used for mainly town/viallge driving, weekly shop etc.

ive been looking at the newer corsas, or a yaris, or a kia?

any other suggestions would be great so I can run insurance quotes and work out finance/deposits.

ALovelyBunch0fCoconuts Sat 22-Mar-14 20:10:01

WMittens Sat 22-Mar-14 22:31:26

and preferably £30 tax

I really don't understand the obsession with a small annual tax amount. If you pay £900 less for an alternative car, but it costs £120/year tax instead of £30, you're still quids in for 10 years.

goodasitgets Sat 22-Mar-14 23:17:06

If you're buying new then the Kia have the long warranty etc which is always good
I have a VW polo which I like (have just bought a new one this week!)

ALovelyBunch0fCoconuts Sun 23-Mar-14 14:05:08

No it won't be new.

you argument against low road tax is very good. dont know why I didnt look at it like that! grin

overitalready Sun 23-Mar-14 14:09:30

I recently passed at the grand old age of 30. When i was looking for cars i found the 3 cheapest insurance wise were :

1) Ford KA

2) Old Corsa

3) A WV Polo

I went for the Polo & i love her. However i still pay £92 a month insurance.

PipkinsPal Sun 23-Mar-14 14:21:43

I've got a Matiz. Four doors standard. Great if you have to get children in and out. Last year paid £125pa tax. Economical, easy to park. Quiet engine. Downside no clock. I only work 2 1/2 miles from home and can get there in less than 10 mins. I do start work at 7.45am though and miss the school run grin.

thenightsky Sun 23-Mar-14 14:31:23

Currently looking at Toyota Yaris or Daihatsu Sirion for my DD who is your age OP, and just passed her test.

A car expert (mechanic and general car geek) is helping me and recommended the above.

A good tip is to put the make and model you fancy into google along with the words 'faults' or 'common faults' and see whether they are major or minor stuff you could live with.

ALovelyBunch0fCoconuts Sun 23-Mar-14 19:12:39

I'm learning in a yaris actually and they are cheap to buy second hand and cheap to insure but I don't like the interiors of them.

is that a good enough reason not to buy a car? grin

Sirzy Sun 23-Mar-14 19:14:08

i have driven corsas for the past 10 years only changing to get a newer one rther than from any problems. Great cars and very reliable.

zumo Thu 27-Mar-14 11:46:32

£500 Micra 1.0 or a £500 Micra 1.0.
What else at this money will do 50mpg?
Daughter has one its fab, easy to park power steering etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now