Audi A3 or Golf

(14 Posts)
marleebrodie Sun 22-Dec-13 17:26:05

Looking to change car always had VW golf but was amazed to find the A3 slightly cheaper- less equipment than golf but good reviews.

Anyone got an Sportback A3 tdi 1.6 do you like it?

DH no help it's my car and entirely up to me .

aGnotherGnuletideGreeting Sun 22-Dec-13 17:33:06

You do have to pay to get some quite basic kit on the A3.
But IMHO the trim level is much better, more comfortable inside (I'd go for SE), less wind noise

They are essentially the same car otherwise though

WidowWadman Sun 22-Dec-13 17:36:21

I've got one, it's ok, but I don't love it. I've got it as a company car, don't think I'd have gone for it if it had been my own money. Boot is roomier than the golf (but still relatively small), which was one of the reasons why I chose it (the other was tax).

AKAK81 Mon 23-Dec-13 15:44:34

Neither - both utterly dull and boring. The epitome of a eurobox. If you're going to get something dull at least get something properly built and buy Japanese.

marleebrodie Mon 23-Dec-13 18:59:42

Would never drive a Japanese car.

Varya Mon 23-Dec-13 19:01:46

No Japanese car for me either! French car at present and very pleased with it.

WMittens Mon 23-Dec-13 20:37:52

Why the hate for Japanese cars? 7 out of the top 10 in the reliability index are Japanese (and none of the remaining 3 are VAG) and VAG cars occupy 5 of the bottom 10 places (all 10 are German, if you count Bentley's parent company).

(Admittedly, the bottom 10 are expensive cars so it's highly likely expensive things going wrong are contributing/skewing the results, but my opinion is if you're paying so much for a car, it shouldn't be going wrong.)

AKAK81 Tue 24-Dec-13 10:38:19

Would never drive a Japanese car

Any reason in particular? You clearly have no interest in cars if you want a Golf or an A3 - why buy something less reliable?

AKAK81 Tue 24-Dec-13 10:43:19

No Japanese car for me either! French car at present and very pleased with it.

Good luck with that.

Zedboy Fri 27-Dec-13 00:30:24

GF has a 2011 Sport A3. Beautiful quality, 100% reliable and excellent value as a private buy.

Dullest thing this side of anything Japanese if company run.

Audi dealers superb, but my goodness you pay for it. Use independents or Skoda dealers if it's your money.

AKAK81 Fri 27-Dec-13 10:40:51

You mean it feels beautiful quality. VAG are masters of perceived quality. The fact that Audi come 26 out of 36 for reliability suggests that their actual quality is pretty mediocre. Certainly all of the Japanese cars I have worked on are better built than the German ones. I drive a German car but I'm not deluding myself that it's as well put together as the Jap stuff - my wallet certainly agrees!

Zedboy Fri 27-Dec-13 11:31:20

Well my views based on personal experience of 100% reliability (n=1)!

I agree with your generalisation on Jap motors, but I personally find then characterless. Some of us like a little soul (which I've also not yet found in MB or Audi).

AKAK81 Fri 27-Dec-13 15:59:00

As do I but I suspect the OP isn't fussed as she's looking at 2 of the most soulless cars money can buy. There are some Jap cars with soul, the Mk 1 MX5, Mk2 CRX VTEC and the original Integra Type R spring to mind.

Amateurish Sun 05-Jan-14 11:58:32

A3 and Golf essentially the same mechanically, so given the choice the A3 is the better choice since it has a nicer interior. They are both excellent cars, probably best in their class. The 1.6 diesel is a frugal engine but slightly underpowered. Could you stretch to the 2 litre?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now