Is it worth fixing minor damage, bumper "scuffs" etc, before part ex?

(6 Posts)
SweetApril Tue 10-Sep-13 13:28:27

I'm about to buy a nearly new (one year old) car and will be part exchanging mine as part of the deal. Mine is five years old, in good nick with average mileage. But it does have a couple of minor bumper scuffs and I'm wondering whether it would be worth having these fixed/repaired before negotiating a price with the dealership. Looking at places like Chipsaway I would guess it would cost me in the region of £200. However, I won't go to all the trouble of doing that if it won't pay me back more than the amount I would shell out for the repairs, IYSWIM.

Anyway got any advice/experience? TIA

SweetApril Tue 10-Sep-13 13:46:03

That should be "anyone" not "anyway".

They can repair them much more cheaply than you can, so there is no advantage to be had from repairing them yourself.

The only risk in leaving them untouched is that they might use them as a bargaining chip in the negotiations. I wouldn't expect that to happen, but you might as well be prepared for the possibility.

BikeRunSki Thu 12-Sep-13 13:26:22

this

I once damaged the paint work on a hire car. I got an independent repair quote - £200 - the hire company charged me £60!

SweetApril Fri 13-Sep-13 08:47:50

I've had a few p/x quotes because I've test driven quite a few cars before deciding on the one I want. The bumper scrapes are making a difference (some salesmen doing an overdramatic sucking in of breath!) but I can't tell how much because the valuations I've had have varied wildly anyway with a difference of 1K between the highest and lowest.

They really are minor scuffs and I know it'll cost the garage much less to repair them than it will cost me but if it costs me £200 to repair and gives me say an extra £300 on the valuation then it'll definitely be worth it. Hm, maybe I'll see if I can get a couple of theoretical valuations over the phone on the basis that the car is perfect.

Thanks, guys.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now