First Time Parents To Be - Need A New Car! £15k used car budget ... HELP!!

(39 Posts)
Citygirl85 Mon 26-Aug-13 07:48:49

Ladies (and any gents!)

So - this is my first dabble in mumsnet having recently found out I'm pregnant with my first (very excited). We desperately need to buy a new car ... like now. We both commute by train to London so don't often drive, hence I still have the 12 year old Ford Ka my Dd bought me new for my 17th birthday! Great car, but no back doors and would crumple like a coke can in an accident. In a few months I won't be able to get in/out my partners low slung sports car with the bump, plus it's a little bit feisty in the wet/can't be driven in the snow. We liked the BMW X3 and the Ford Kuga and the budget is £15k ish but we can go more for "amazing" (though since finding out I'm expecting we'd rather spend less!). We keep standing looking at cars in showrooms saying to each other "How big is a buggy? Will it fit plus a weekly shop?" i.e. we have no idea.

Does anyone have any recommendations? We have some requirements:

1.) My in-laws are in Edinburgh, my (elderly) grandmother is in Cardiff and we're in Essex - what used to be a quick EasyJet to Scotland after work with a spot of dinner and glass of wine at Stansted is no longer going to be an option, so we need comfort for long journeys and a massive boot to take baby stuff plus luggage.
2.) We want something reasonably "nice". I'm late 20's with himself early 30's and we both work in the financial sector in the City ... practical as they seem a Focus or S-Max is just too "parenty" for us right now. This will be our only car so it needs to be "manly" enough for himself (who unsurprisingly also loves a gadget).
3.) Otherwise, the usual reliable, safe, ISOFIX, cheap-ish to run etc.

We're thinking about an Audi A4 but ideas, suggestions, comments, ANYTHING would help stop 2 bewildered parents-to-be to stop running around like headless chickens!

Thanks a million smile

Sarah x

Citygirl85 Thu 29-Aug-13 06:04:41

Thank you so much for all your inputs - you've all been so helpful smile

AmandaCooper Thu 29-Aug-13 06:28:36

Second the Volvo. My DH is about as car mad as they come. He has a completely impractical low slung sports car and our family car is a Volvo V50 estate. It's nice to drive, easily fits all the child stuff in it, it's fairly economical and it's strong and sturdy. Don't buy new, you may as well throw money away.

SignoraStronza Thu 29-Aug-13 06:45:52

Would second an Octavia estate. We love the Yeti, but for a bit more boot space we'd go for an estate - dh is looking at getting an Octavia VrS next time round.

KatOD Thu 29-Aug-13 07:12:48

We've had a skoda Octavia and now skoda superb (both amazing, latter is enormous so interesting for parking!). I've been wondering what to upgrade my BMW 1 series to and am thinking Kia sport age or qashqai, both in your price range.

Dh is on his way home at this very minute with our new ford b max!!!

It's the 1.0 engine zetec, so really cheap to run. We got an ex demo car so saved about £5 grand plus it's still got 10 months warranty.

BlackMogul Fri 30-Aug-13 12:23:20

This really depends on whether you like driving or not. If you do, then don't go for a Korando as above. Remember, you get what you pay for in terms of quality. There is a reason why some cars do not sell in large quantities! We always look for Best Buys in What Car. This magazine will give you a secondhand guide price too and target price for a new car. This can be significantly less than the advertised price. DD just got a whacking discount off a new VW Polo. Don't go for a car which is just about to be replaced - usually old technology. You need to have air bags in the right places. Personally, I would go for a VW Golf. The best car in its class (family hatchback). New one has had fabulous reviews and I think prices have been held. I would try and spend a bit more to get a slightly bigger engine. See what What Car mag recommend. They will list all the models and say which gets 5* and is the best buy. They also list them as "family hatchback" so you know what the nearest competitors are and how they compare. Hatchbacks or estates are best for load capacity and ease of access. You can't go wrong with the professional opinion of journalists whose job it is to test these cars!. A diesel one could be economical. DH would find a Golf very good to drive if he is used to a sports car. (PS Don't look at Which, they judge cars on completely odd criteria and never agree with any other car mags).

Pitmountainpony Sat 31-Aug-13 07:25:37

In the UK- volvo every time.

Alanna1 Sat 31-Aug-13 07:42:05

Do you plan to expand your family after no.1? You both currently have a car - do you really want to move to one car? Any desire for a dog? Friends a bit like you have kept the sports car and traded up for a family car too. They go out in the sporty car generally without the kids, and he drives to work in that. But use the family car at other times and for holidays.

I've stayed with my now ten year old ford, but when we next get a new one we will get an estate. We live in central London so we rarely use it other than for holidays / visiting family outside London. By the time there is a buggy, toys, clothes and kids in the car, its jammed. And that's with a roofbox. And we don't have a dog (yet - husband wants one).

I reckon you'll still fly to scotland!

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sat 31-Aug-13 12:35:20

Have to say the B Max is amazing, the back doors slide so you have total access to the car, there is no b frame in the way. The engine is only 1.0 but it feels amazing to drive, really recommend this car.

<softly strokes B Max>

LovelyWeatherForDucks Sat 31-Aug-13 12:52:20

We were in the same situation last year - upgrading a fiesta to a family car. We liked the Kuga but not the price tag - our £15k budget would only get us a basic model - so we went with a 2yr old Qashqai Ntech with all the gadgets. We love it! It looks like a big car but its so easy to drive etc. only thing is that the interior isn't huge so we had to rule out a ERF car seat unfortunately unless we wanted to give up the front passenger seat.

JumpingJackSprat Sat 31-Aug-13 13:03:56

I notoced qashqai recently and i like the look of them. ive got a focus titanium new shape ... i love it, has all the gadgets on it, list price would have been around 22k but it was an ex demo so got it for just over 15k and it only had 2500 miles on it at three months old, id never buy a brand new car again. Really really comfortable, regularly drive long distances in it and its so good to drive. You may also want to consider a mazda, i was looking at one which had much more stuff for much less money than all the other competitors.

Nnnnnnn Sat 31-Aug-13 13:12:56

We're in a very similar situation to you. We pick up our new, 9 month old Hyundai i40 Tourer this week. Very practical, low emissions, high mpg. And lots of gadgets! My husband is VERY excited.

kaza23 Tue 10-Sep-13 18:28:37

I would recommend the Mazda 5. Although its a big car it's very comfortable with reclining back seats which are really helpful for naps on long journeys. The sliding doors at the back ate a god send especially in busy car parks or during tussles about getting into the car seat wink

kaza23 Tue 10-Sep-13 18:28:48

I would recommend the Mazda 5. Although its a big car it's very comfortable with reclining back seats which are really helpful for naps on long journeys. The sliding doors at the back ate a god send especially in busy car parks or during tussles about getting into the car seat wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now