Anyone know about minis?

(19 Posts)
Chopchopbusybusy Thu 30-May-13 15:16:17

Thanks everyone. I test drove a copper S and a cooper S convertible. I really liked the convertible - I think my mind is made up smile

Fragglewump Tue 28-May-13 13:31:43

I have a Mini Cooper convertible and I love it. Had it over a year and it is certainly not always being fixed. It is fun nippy and reliable. You do feel the bumps though but I love it and drop the roof down at any oportunity! I've had loads of cars and it is my all time favourite. If I choose again I think it'd be the cooper s convertible. It has real character - I love the little sigh mine does when you turn off the engine'

41notTrendy Tue 28-May-13 13:26:56

I had a red Mini Cooper. And I miss it. I loved it. Liked the feel, the nippiness, the look. I want one again <wails>

AKAK81 Tue 28-May-13 13:22:39

I guess it all depends on your driving style. The Cooper is pretty slow so if you're a 'press on' kind of driver then you'll want a Cooper S which whilst not exactly fast is satisfyingly nippy.

WMittens Sun 26-May-13 22:40:00

My original comment was more about surprise that the Mini is a driver's car - as FWD chassis go, it's not exactly up there.

Although I think you and I may have different ideas about 'nippy' wink. I'm not sure if the 'only works if it's nippy' comment was about the 370Z, it's not exactly a slow car confused

CajaDeLaMemoria Sun 26-May-13 22:06:54

Go for the Cooper over the convertible. The convertibles break all the time, they are always back in being fixed. The Cooper has a nicer drive, too, and is cheaper to fix.

Also read your warranty carefully.

That's why the stiffness only works if its nippy too, which the Mini is.

You can feel the bumps but you're also very well cushioned in the snug seats.

WMittens Sun 26-May-13 21:54:54

Stiff suspension transmitting all the bumps isn't the same as 'feedback' - a well set up car can absorb the bumps but still tell you what the car is doing - Lotus being well known for their expertise in this area. For most people driving on the road, feedback through the steering wheel is more than enough.

My Nissan 370Z was too stiff at times (not helped by large wheels and thin tyres) - a nasty bump could send it off line pretty quickly and the steering was very twitchy. It was pretty well behaved when the back stepped out though, with the ESP on or off.

Too many consumers (maybe or maybe not convinced by manufacturers) think "stiff" means "sporty" - because racecar. No thought to how it handles on the road, race cars are stiff so stiff must mean fast. In one of Jaguar's models, there was a 'Sport' button because it was expected of cars in that segment (and most segments now) - it temporarily stiffened suspension because that was what consumers expected, but it slowly returned to standard because they'd got it right to start with.

Yep, all those dull cars where you don't feel the road are soulless to me. Much more fun driving a classic car like an MG than the soulless car I've got with suspension where you don't feel anything.

I loved the feedback in the Mini. I also felt the same in the Alfa spider, triumph stag and mx3 I had.

I just don't like an entirely comfortable ride wink where it feels like I'm driving a soft bus.

WMittens Sun 26-May-13 21:40:52

MPG/expensive to run - remember MPG is quoted using the NEDC test to give standardised figures - it's often done using computer control, so it's extremely unlikely you would see the actual figures in like for like driving. Also, manufacturers can 'tune' the car to perform well in the tests.

If it's a new model Cooper S it has a turbocharger, so if you're enthusiastic with the throttle it's going to start going through petrol; if it's an older model with the supercharger, that was sapping power from the engine to make power.

WMittens Sun 26-May-13 21:36:34

...you feel every bump - which is a good thing IMO as its a drivers car.

Really?

Chopchopbusybusy Sun 26-May-13 21:32:27

Sorry it was preggers that said it was expensive to run.

Chopchopbusybusy Sun 26-May-13 21:31:21

Ooh - mixed! And not very positive. Fallenninja - which model do you have?
Bikerunski, what do you think is expensive? I've checked the insurance cost and it's slightly cheaper than my current elderly car. I can prepay under £300 for 5 years servicing and MPG looks promising. Am I missing something obvious?
Hoping to test drive tomorrow.

It is a hard drive, you feel every bump - which is a good thing IMO as its a drivers car. Its not 'smooth' but instead has loads of feedback and nippiness

I loved mine. Very nippy - had the Cooper. Very solid too. I didn't find it dull.

It's a very pretty car but has been very copied in the last ten years.

preggersbycheggers Sun 26-May-13 20:58:24

My mil has one which I have driven quite a bit. It's a hard drive and not relaxing whatsoever. The clutch is incredibly stiff on it and its very expensive to run.

Make sure you test drive one first!

BikeRunSki Sun 26-May-13 20:55:30

I had a Mini Cooper about 10 years ago and loved it's nippiness!

TheFallenNinja Sun 26-May-13 20:51:02

They are a soulless, dull drive. Regret mine.

Chopchopbusybusy Sun 26-May-13 19:52:20

I'm considering buying a Mini Cooper S convertible. They look very lovely but I need convincing. Any experience?
I'm also considering just the Mini Cooper S, given that there won't be that many days in a year that I can use the convertible. Or should I just go for the Mini Cooper. I like the idea of something nippy.
My DDs are older teens now so we don't go out much as a foursome any more and if necessary they would be happy to squeeze in the back, so I'm happy with the size of the car. DH has a bigger car for when we really need one anyway.
Please come and help me decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now