What have I missed, what can I get?

(4 Posts)
catslave Fri 26-Apr-13 14:57:12

XC90 was horribly underpowered, in my opinion. Had the same size engine as our current car (308SW with biggest engine - 2 litre version) but is built like a tank.

The only problem with the Evoque is my husband. It brings out the northener in him, particularly as our youngest goes to local private school's pre-school and he gets irritated daily by bad driving and parking of small posh mums in enormous RR Vogues. I'm not sure I could ever make him get in it... though he has his own car, so might not be a problem. Might have to experiment with boot space and getting 3 children in the back.

Damn, that's the other thing I test drove - a BMW X1. Fab fuel economy but the interior was vile - beige plastic and a digital (digital!) time display - looked like an old Casio watch. And the ride... bump bump bump, with a really awkward gear change and noisy engine.

WMittens Fri 26-Apr-13 09:09:25

I'd written out several paragraphs explaining why, but as soon as you accidentally hit a link, you've lost the text when you come back to the page, dammit!

Short answer - Evoque. You clearly love it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, and anyway, it's a good car and not particularly 'TOWIE'. Just try to forget that Jordan has a bright pink one. If you got one of the others you'd always be thinking, "I wish I'd bought the Evoque."

SorrelForbes Thu 25-Apr-13 23:28:40

Really interested to see any replies as we're looking to get rid of our very old Galaxy! My first thought was a Volvo XC90 but the fuel usage puts me off a bit.

catslave Thu 25-Apr-13 23:19:28

We are looking to replace our Peugeot estate with a 5 seater that's a bit more economical and luxurious and cool now eldest of our 3 dcs doesn't need a car seat anymore. Plus the Peugeot is only 4 and has various electrical issues, bits of trim dropping off here and there, wears tyres really quickly on the inside edge only - nobody can work out why - and I generally view it as a deathtrap.

So far, I have test driven:

Audi Q5 - liked this, not sure about fuel economy being that great, any extra above the basic spec costs a fortune so put off by 'greedy sods' factor!

VW Tiguan - noisy engine, poor rear visibility, centre display seemingly angled towards passenger. Irritating.

LR Evoque - lovely inside, drove brilliantly and was my favourite for all this BUT is it a bit of a Towie-mobile? Not sure about the image and whether people look at me and think 'flash twat'. H hated the look of it.

Volvo XC90 - massive no. Drove like a Flymo, sounded like a bus. Nice inside, though. Also - all seemed to be automatics. Do you lose the ability to change gear the minute you buy a 4x4 or do manufacturers just suppose this??

Qashqai - okay, but nothing special, trim a bit dated. Nothing wrong with it, just a bit meh.

I haven't tried an Audi Q3 yet, but am I missing anything good in the SUV / Crossover market? I just want something that's really comfy inside, preferably a taller car so I can see better in country lanes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now