Camping and caravaning club

(18 Posts)
LifeofPo Wed 26-Jun-13 12:54:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hz Wed 26-Jun-13 14:55:42

We were members for a year but cancelled. You can stay at many camping and caravanning sites without being a member and to be honest mostly they just aren't the kind of site I like. No 'campfires' option in their campsite search engine - no good!

DeepRedBetty Wed 26-Jun-13 15:00:49

I've given up on it now too. Yes, the club sites were always very clean in the loo department etc, but as I've already complained to them on more than one occasion, the whole club seems to be geared for caravans, and they've forgotten the tent campers. It's very depressing walking past loads of hard-standing pitches to get to the shower block, all of which are occupied by smug old gits with built in loos in their hideous shiny white mobile traffic jam causers little boxes on wheels. (Sorry about the Jeremy Clarkson moment there).

LifeofPo Wed 26-Jun-13 15:03:50

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 26-Jun-13 15:22:55

I am a member of C&CC and I meant to cancel this year but missed the window and rolled over. We have not used any of their sites in ages and like the others here, I think often they are just too well-manicured and caravanny for us.

Also, I have tried reading the magazine and though they always make a nod towards us tenters, it is squarely aimed at caravans. The Letters page is a dead giveaway.

LifeofPo Wed 26-Jun-13 15:37:15

NonnyMuss Wed 26-Jun-13 19:03:57

We just joined (because one of our favourite sites is C&C, Solway View in Dumfries and Galloway, campfires etc so not at all caravanny) and we're enjoying making use of all the little local Certificated Sites for a tenner a night as opposed to £30 at most commercial campsites.

Fragglewump Wed 26-Jun-13 19:08:01

I've been a member for years and have 4 kids and never use their sites. But I go on their rally's all the time ie most weekends and camp in fields for around £6 a night! I love it - no booking in advance no tiny pitches - just freedom!

NonnyMuss Wed 26-Jun-13 19:47:14

Fraggle, am assuming you have a tent not a caravan? How do you go on for loos/sinks on the temporary sites?
I was worried we'd end up in a field full of caravans all with their own facilities and have to head off into the woods with a shovel and a toilet roll, but we might give it a go if it's feasible (£6 a night! Bliss!)

Sorry for the third degree blush

Fragglewump Thu 27-Jun-13 22:27:20

We have done tent, caravan and motorhome camping. To be honest there are less tents than other types but we have found everyone to be really lovely. If we 'tent it' we put up a toilet tent with a porta potti thing ( there's always an elsan point to empty it!). The rally's are on all sorts of sites from fields to big commercial sites with toilets and showers. We love it and you can go on any rally's with any area! Feel free to ask away if anything else occurs to you!

NonnyMuss Thu 27-Jun-13 23:10:03

Thanks for the reply flowers
What a great idea having a toilet tent (portapotti alone not being in the spirit of bell tent camping, sleeping in one big space we can handle, toileting not so much!)

One more question <channelling Columbo> do the people on the rallies tend to know each other and is there a range of ages/demographics? I had visions of turning up with bell tent and my feral kids to a rally full of genteel elderly caravanners who have met up same weekend every year since 1972 grin

Fragglewump Thu 27-Jun-13 23:39:12

Our da has some original members from 1971! Which is very sweet and sometimes bring spare runner beans etc to meets from their allotments. But lots of families with kids go and ours has loads organised for kids. Xmas party, swimming outings, crabbing competitions, barn dances, bonfire night etc. we totally love it! If you look in the back of the magazines all the rally's are listed. We find lots of benefits from the kids getting to know the others but sometimes want a break or fancy a different site so we go wherever we fancy with whichever da we fancy. Also there are loads of rally's for summer holidays etc all over the country!

Fragglewump Thu 27-Jun-13 23:40:15

We have lots of feral kids too.....once a caravan saw us arrive and they packed up and moved to the other side of the field!!!!

busyboysmum Thu 27-Jun-13 23:46:36

Second the rallies and holiday sites, we do have a caravan (hope that's allowed) but love the freedom of being able to turn up to any place and know we can just pitch up and join in. Usually £5 - £10 a night for all of us - amazing.

Obviously we have a toilet in the van but have been to rallies with facilities and of course you can take a toilet tent as suggested.

We have never found ourselves unwelcome, seems the more the merrier and there is always loads to do for the kids, or you can use the site as a base and explore the area.

Also the cls are brill and often have toilets and showers and again around £10 a night and usually on farms or in lovely quiet areas not big car parks as many proper sites seem to be.

DeepRedBetty Fri 28-Jun-13 17:29:49

At rallies and DA THCs the stewards are always insistent on seeing the membership cards (as they should be) but I've never been asked at any of the couple of dozen CLs I've been to.

dippingmytoeinagain Mon 01-Jul-13 19:38:18

Deep - Thanks for the info on the rallies and meets - I've been toying with the idea of trying these out as the freedom and cost certainly appeal! I will need to invest in some loo facilities first tho grin

Having just started camping and joined the C&CC club for the first time (was a caravanner up to last year and so a member of the Caravan Club) I must admit to being a bit disappointed at the C&CC main sites I have so far stayed at - surprised to find that we are pitched furthest away from the facilities and really surprised at how many more caravans than tents there were. And the deposit payment on booking - in the Caravan Club there was no deposit payable and you could cancel at any time without loss. I guess at the moment, being a member of a club gives me some kind of security about the standards, but I think I need to branch out and try some independent sites for comparison (or the smaller certified sites....)

dippingmytoeinagain Mon 01-Jul-13 19:40:58

and thanks to everyone else who commented about the rallies - sorry, forgot to thank you in my haste!

chicaguapa Mon 01-Jul-13 21:41:58

We always stay at CCC temporary sites and go on rallies. We just went on a children's rally this weekend. There were caravans, motorhomes, tents and trailer tents. The DC had a ball and it was only £25 for the weekend including a children's entertainer, disco and there was a penny fayre where various awnings had hook a duck, tombola etc for 2p a go. The DC were given a bag of 2ps on arrival.

Everyone was very friendly and there were all ages there from babies to teenagers to grandparents.

No booking in advance so you can look at the weather forecast during the week and decide to go away. It's how camping should be IMO and that's where we get our value from being CCC members.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now