how do you have sex on a camping holiday if you go with children?

(60 Posts)
Fairylea Fri 19-Apr-13 09:16:05

Well.. exactly that really!

Dh and I have two children..dd aged 10 and ds who would be year old in the summer.

We like the idea of camping for a week somewhere but what do families do about having sex ? Surely you can't in a family tent... ? Dd would hear us...! So do you just not have sex ?

I know this sounds ridiculous but it's putting me and dh off camping and I wondered what others do.. thanks.

nappyaddict Wed 24-Apr-13 10:10:42

Those that do have sex on camping holidays and take DC with you how old are your DC? At what age do you stop?

Ledkr Fri 19-Apr-13 18:48:49

We go for three to four weeks in the summer in our camper van.
We just don't do it! We like to think of ourselves as gloucestershires equivalent to sting and trudy styler and have tantric abstinence which preceeds weeks of non stop shagging when we get back grin
I never much fancy it anyway tbh I've usually had to much to drink and an really knackered from the days activities.
Nice break really.

chipmonkey Fri 19-Apr-13 18:47:51

I lost my virginity in a tent as well!smile I knew there was a reason why I liked camping!

Oh and twnts is just Welsh for tents, isn't it?

sassytheFIRST Fri 19-Apr-13 18:42:28

RAIN is your friend here.

SignoraStronza Fri 19-Apr-13 18:34:53

Treat it as a challenge. wink
We made sure we had a big tent with opposite bedroom areas. Go camping at heavy metal festivals. Wear the dcs out with beer cup collection (for the deposit) and air guitar lessons from obliging friends.
By the time motorhead started playing, dc (5) was fast asleep (with ear defenders on) and slept all night like a baby.
Popping back for beer/suncream etc and leaving dc in the capable hands of friends is also a trick worth mastering.grin

TicTacSir Fri 19-Apr-13 18:34:35

Do not, repeat not, have a little lamp on in the tent for romantic ambience.
One wet, miserable summer in Cornwall DH and I were treated to a lovely enlarged silhouette sex-romp by the couple in the tent next door. imagine 8-ft tall shadows

LadyDamerel Fri 19-Apr-13 18:34:12

Urgh, this has reminded me of a camping holiday with friends when we were students.

5 tents in a circle, 4 of them occupied by long-term-relationship couples and the last one by a couple who hadn't been together that long and were still in that phase where they liked to have A LOT of sex.

The first night we all sloped off to bed at about 1am and spent the next two hours listening to every kiss, suck (it didn't take much imagination to guess exactly what was being sucked, from the accompanying moans ::heave:smile, squelch and wet slapping noise.

It was horrific. You could hear absolutely everything.

wonderingagain Fri 19-Apr-13 18:30:38

Camping is so cheap you can afford a night in a hotel if you're desperate.

EssieW Fri 19-Apr-13 18:28:22

Yes I did notice my typo of twnts for tents...but thought I'd leave it for you all to enjoy...

wonderingagain Fri 19-Apr-13 18:19:13

There is certainly an afternoon nap ritual that I hadn't viewed suspiciously until now.

wonderingagain Fri 19-Apr-13 18:17:33

Lol at that link! Getting Vangoed and Montyed!

thebeastandbeauty Fri 19-Apr-13 18:15:43

Haha, this reminds me of going to Glastonbury when I was about 16.

A couple pitched their tent next to ours, then proceeded to go in it and shag very obviously.

It was a bell tent and the guys arse was thrusting back and forth against the side. A little butt-shaped dent kept appearing.

grin

Fairylea Fri 19-Apr-13 18:14:38

Well I think we might go for a caravan again... we stayed in one at haven and it had a separate door to the lounge area and the kids were up the other end of the van with their doors shut after bedtime so we just sort of barricaded the lounge door shut and used the sofa.... ! And err hoped we didn't have dd knock on the door wanting a drink in the night or something... thankfully all was ok and we were very quiet and she didn't wake up.

It sounds like campsites are much less private than I imagined! I don't know if I'd like that anyway regardless of the sex... but there's still camping gene in me.somewhere. I might persuade dh to try it for a long no sex weekend smile

I might sound a bit sex mad, I'm honestly not... just don't want to go on holiday and not have sex! smile to me having sex is part (a small part but still an enjoyable one!) Of having a holiday smile

Pancakeflipper Fri 19-Apr-13 18:12:44

Twnts .... Giggles immaturely.

Go to your car when kids are sleeping or find a big bush.

Sunnywithshowers Fri 19-Apr-13 18:10:43

My DSis was traumatised as a teen when she went with our parents on a caravan holiday. She distinctly remembers the words 'You ready then gel?' and couldn't shut out the other noises... <boak>

austenozzy Fri 19-Apr-13 18:06:41

I think you're missing the obvious answer - you book into a hotel! Camping is for scouts and brownies, in my curmudgeonly opinion. :-)

AuntieStella Fri 19-Apr-13 17:54:23

I remember the Iron Age programme - their one permitted modern item was contraceptive supplies.

And I can remember being at a major Scout Jamboree when in my teens and two of the young leaders sloping off to a tent for a 'siesta'. And yes, we could tell what they were up to.

SirChenjin Fri 19-Apr-13 17:50:15

Don't do it! Dear god, my older 2 (15 and 13) would be scarred for life if DH and I went at it, although the 6 year old might not realise what was going on. It's only for a week - who on earth feels horny enough to have sex in a tent surrounded by strangers with their kids in the next sleeping compartment fgs??! No thanks!!

Fairylea Fri 19-Apr-13 17:46:24

smile

<giggling childishly at naughty stories>

I can't decide if I'm put off camping or viewing this as some sort of challenge! Hmmmm !!

MrsMc82 Fri 19-Apr-13 17:43:23

Wait for the rain! Drowns out any noise!

Yonihadtoask Fri 19-Apr-13 15:18:38

We don't have a tent, but do have a caravan. That's bad enough.

Don't even like to have the sex at home when the kids are in. (teen boys...)

MrsHoarder Fri 19-Apr-13 15:08:46

Wally shock

As for OP, sex in a tent is usually unsuccessful. Save your energy for nice wholesome activities like walking to the pub

HeirToTheIronThrone Fri 19-Apr-13 14:49:32

I lost my virginity in a tent... [confession face]

seeker Fri 19-Apr-13 14:40:33

Twnts? That's a double entrendre waiting to happen!

EssieW Fri 19-Apr-13 14:20:34

Twnts aren't soundproof!

I wouldn't so much be worrying about the children hearing you as the rest of the campsite. Though we'd probably applaud.

Maybe wild camp? Middle of nowhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now