Cooking while camping

(31 Posts)

Hi all,

I am camping for 5 nights at the end of the month and wondered what you all eat when camping.

We will BBQ at least 2 days, but i don't want to eat that 5 days in a row.

So inspre me please!

Blu Thu 18-Apr-13 12:43:56

The Look What We Found pouches of things like stew, chilli etc are very good. Not esp cheap, but tasty and good quality, and often on sp offer in Sainsbury's, Wairose etc. They have long sell by dates so I buy them when on sp offer and save for the camping season.

Quenelle Thu 18-Apr-13 13:13:26

MrQuenelle's Breakfast Mess: basically a cooked breakfast all done in one frying pan, with the eggs cooked in the middle for last five minutes. Saves on washing up.

We take frozen chilli or bolognese for second night but they're also easy to make from scratch on two rings if we're away for a couple of weeks.

Omelette and salad and takeaway chips/frites if available.

Merguez (French spicy sausages) and salad/frites.

Risotto.

We've never been into BBQs but I have a camping cookbook with lots of new ideas I want to try so might take a small cheap one with us this year. Will give us a chance to try smores as well.

Blending Fri 19-Apr-13 19:20:20

YY to taking a frozen meal like spag bol, chilli or curry in the freezer box (You can leave out some of the freezer blocks to make room. as it will keep other stuff nice and cold) It will be fine for a about 48 hours.

We like to make up chicken noodle soup from a dried packet and slice smoked ready cooked sausage in at the end. Its a great lunch really tasty and it doesnt need to be kept cool (Even though though those type of sausage are normally in the fridge section...Mmmmmatersons dont actually need to be there if you read the packet.)

For a large group it can be worth firing up the bbq just to cook the meat, so something simple like pork chops (topped with some crumbly feta at the last minute) and served with a naice salad, crusty bread and a glass of wine can feel like a feast. It doesnt have to be a full on BBQ.

We like to peel the skin back on bananas slightly and put in slices of mars bar and put them on the fire BBQ- absolutely scrummy.

We tend to stick to cereals mostly for breakfast, unless its a sunday and then we have pancakes!

Tuna Pasta is always a winner and again no need for a fridge.

Lots of sandwiches/wraps at lunch time and as everyone says the obligatory chippy tea!

CitrusyOne Fri 19-Apr-13 19:25:48

Tinned curry is a MUST when camping.

MrsWembley Fri 19-Apr-13 19:31:24

Shamelessly marking place, as we tend to live on BBQ when we're tented, apart from, as someone ^^ said, chilli or some such made at home for the first night.

We also have to factor in fish and chips somewhere along the line, but some of these ideas are great.

I remember camp cooking pre DCs. It consisted of tins of 'meat' and tins of 'sauce' with tins of 'potatoes' or things like Vesta curries. Those were the days!grin

See this is why i love mumsnet, may have to camp for longer to fit in all these ideas!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now