Tips For Winter Camping

(22 Posts)
HellesBelles396 Wed 16-Jan-13 08:03:32

thank you zumo, I will be getting something Luke that for next year.

zumo Wed 16-Jan-13 05:33:58

Go to bed warm, run around if need be, if you go to bed cold you will find it hard to get warm
We have four of these type hand warmers ours cost £4 each via Ebay delivered from China, they are fantastic, the link gives you the general type.
http://fireflyhandwarmers.com/

HellesBelles396 Mon 14-Jan-13 20:31:43

I was at Hawkhirst - Gilwell looks AMAZING! So much more going on there and on a bigger scale!

Still a brill weekend though smile First load in washer now I'm back from work - five more to do (ds also scout).

EcoLady Mon 14-Jan-13 18:34:45

Gilwell, camping on Essex Chase. Have you seen the video they made there?

HellesBelles396 Mon 14-Jan-13 06:12:43

lol - I'm the loudest of ours!

which site was dd at ecolady?

EcoLady Mon 14-Jan-13 01:27:26

Glad you had fun - DD did too and was delighted with how muddy she got.

She had foam sleeping mat, 'normal' sleeping bag, mummy-style 3 season sleeping bag, fleece liner & her fleece camp blanket, plus slept in leggings & joggers, 2 pairs of socks, thin cotton polo-neck, camp teeshirt and hoodie with the hood up. Biggest gripe seems to have been her 10yo tent-mate's snoring!

HellesBelles396 Sun 13-Jan-13 23:26:23

I'm back, thank you all re advice. Best tip I can give for future is to keep moving!

had a fab weekend with the scouts and thanks to picnic blanket, blanket, fleece blanket, foam bedroll and self-inflating bed roll under me AND thermals, pyjamas, 2 pairs of socks, 2 sleeping bags, hat and gloves around me, I wasn't at all cold at night.

During the day, I wore 6 layers on top half and 3 on bottom half tucking inner-layers into each other and into 2 pairs of knee length socks.

I also made sure food was carb-heavy and hot.

Thoroughly recommend wintercamp to any existing or future scout leaders who didn't go grin grin grin grin grin

dikkertjedap Sat 12-Jan-13 11:30:03

X-post

dikkertjedap Sat 12-Jan-13 11:28:49

Not sure about the 3cm self-inflatable mattress. I actually found my one very disappointing. If you can, I would get an old fashioned air mattress with pump and the self inflatable mattress on top or underneath.

I would also take a fleece blanket, they take little space and give some warmth straight away. If you have space, maybe a hot water bottle or hand warmers.

I hope the weather is kind to you all.

PS also a roll of large, strong bin liners. So handy, you can use them for all kinds of things.

EcoLady Sat 12-Jan-13 10:21:38

Just found this thread - you'll be there now!

My DD is there too with her Guides and more layers than humanly possible. Last year she just put more clothes on top of the existing ones as the weekend went on. Came home like a muddy Mr Michelin but v happy after a crazy weekend smile

HellesBelles396 Fri 04-Jan-13 18:58:42

My waterproof trousers have been ordered and, according to amazon, should be here monday-wednesday. Hope they'll fit!

quoteunquote Fri 04-Jan-13 18:38:54

water proof trousers are a must, keep the wind off, and it means you can sit anywhere even if it is wet.

My Tip: Don't go But as you will be going, all the other advice on here is very good.

Take many many layers. Moe than you think you will need.

RyleDup Fri 04-Jan-13 17:02:13

Oh and really decent waterproof boots. Don't ever under estimate the importance of decent warm waterproof boots.

RyleDup Fri 04-Jan-13 17:00:01

Make sure wherever you camp is dry and flat. I still have nightmares of being a guide, and very slowly sliding down the slope where our tents were pitched, so our feet ended up outside the tent and the end of our sleeping bags soaking wet. (and impossible to dry).

Decent waterproofs. Ones that go over trousers too. Reduces the need to try and dry wet clothing.

Don't suppose for a moment there will be an electric hook up there will there?

Porta potty ;-) saves going out in the cold and wet to go to the loo.

Head torch, for reading and getting around at night.

HellesBelles396 Fri 04-Jan-13 16:46:31

brill potionmaker thank you. Defo going to try that one.

PotionMaker Fri 04-Jan-13 16:38:04

Haven't tried it yet but I was advised to put a foil survival blanket on the floor under air beds / mattresses to reflect body heat back into the tent - might be worth a try?

HellesBelles396 Fri 04-Jan-13 16:35:59

love the pj's tip, thank you - that will be used!

wouldn't a water bottle between the thighs feel as though you'd wet yourself?

FourArms Thu 03-Jan-13 22:51:33

Get PJs on under clothes early in the evening.

I don't know about double sets of thermals... last Easter I just wore them constantly!

Air sleeping bags and mats during the day so they don't get damp.

Lots of socks.

Hot water bottles - between your thighs apparently keeps you warmest.

I'm taking an electric blanket next time... might not be an option if you have no EHU.

HellesBelles396 Thu 03-Jan-13 18:50:36

Great tips quoteunquote thank you. I'm doing the shopping on Sunday. I was getting loads of hot chocolate anyway but I'll grab a huge bag of mini-marshmallows too smile.

I thought about buying up half a dozen Christmas cakes to take as snacks because they're high in fat and sugar - ideal for the scouts who are doing activities all day.

quoteunquote Thu 03-Jan-13 15:18:32

I have a double ended herdwick sheepskin which is amazing to sleep on when camping, it really helps in winter, the shop above get really good ones if you ask,

just do lots of layers of breathable clothing,

make sure there is a good supply of hot snacks and hot drinks, keep everyone eating often, everyone is burning up a lot of calories, people cope better, lots of mini marshmallows in hot chocolate.

choose where you put the tents carefully, dry ground, that can't get water logged, no dripping trees, out the wind, and morning sun.

HellesBelles396 Wed 02-Jan-13 20:05:23

I am a newish cub scout leader and am helping our group's scout troop at winter camp in 9 days time.

I have never camped in winter before and I am freaking out! My preparations, so far:

3cm self-inflating mattress

picnic blanket and normal blanket for under this

2 3-season sleeping bags (one to go inside the other

hat and gloves for day and another set for sleeping in

2sets of thermals - 1 for day, 1 for night

Any other tips please? (other than not to go!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now