Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Ba ba black sheep cake - how to do wool?

(13 Posts)
Sleepstarved Thu 27-Feb-14 15:05:06

Ok, have bitten off more than I can chew with this one but am set on it now.
I thought I'd use black candy floss for the wool. It apparently it doesn't go black, just comes out grey.
So apart from just piping black buttercream in a rough, bumpy pattern, any suggestions?

woodrunner Thu 27-Feb-14 16:01:06

Lots of curly spirals of liquorice laces? (Though small children probably don't like liquorice
Lots of overlapping oreos?
You can get black royal icing which you could roll into curls
I love the idea of black candy floss, though. Can you not just keep adding food colouring until it gets really dark?

Perfectlypurple Thu 27-Feb-14 16:02:49

I did a sheep and used fondant icing and a cocktail stick to fluff the icing to look like wool.

sassytheFIRST Thu 27-Feb-14 16:03:57

Grated chocolate curls? I've done this, looked ok.

figgypuddings Thu 27-Feb-14 16:05:40

Ready made icing squished through a garlic press.

Funnyfoot Thu 27-Feb-14 16:08:25

Use sugar paste and one of these

It gives you spaghetti so you can curl it around to look like wool.

Funnyfoot Thu 27-Feb-14 16:10:08

Failing that use mini white marshmallows (yum) grin

Funnyfoot Thu 27-Feb-14 16:12:17

Sorry missed the bit where you said black in the OP!

FrankUnderwood Thu 27-Feb-14 16:16:27

royal icing, food coloured black, in a garlic press?

Bunbaker Thu 27-Feb-14 16:20:31

If you had some black buttercream you could use a grass nozzle with a piping bag.

Greenandcabbagelooking Fri 28-Feb-14 16:42:36

Put black ready roll icing through one of those playdough things that gives you hair?

Well washed, of course.

BellaVita Fri 28-Feb-14 16:45:25

I would go with what figgy said. Have done this before and it looked great.

Sleepstarved Sun 02-Mar-14 14:36:41

Garlic press is a great idea! Our's is broken though.
I could use the potato ricer couldn't I? That would get more done at a time.
Have also got some marshmallow fluff and some black food colouring spray coming to experiment with. Could also spray paint ordinary marshmallows too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now