Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Gluten free number 2 shaped cake tips!

(7 Posts)
Twilightsparklesmama Thu 20-Feb-14 22:40:59

Just that really, I bake a lot but have never done a proper iced birthday cake. I am doing DD2 a number 2 lady bird style cake.

DD1 is ceoliac so will be GF. I need some icing tips! I'm using a number shaped cake pan do I cut the cake in half to fill it?

Will the GF sponge survive being chopped and filled?

Any tips on getting a good finish on the icing? Planning to use ready to roll (will check is GF) in red and do black spots.

nannycook Fri 21-Feb-14 17:33:35

Twilight, I made a number 50 ( pic on my profile), I have mad GF cupcakes before and neverhad a problem with them but I haven't cut one before, give it a go tho, yes cut it in half and fill with whatever you want, buy the bigger packs of sugarcane and knead first , use edible glue yo stick the spots on, look forward a photo when your done.

nannycook Fri 21-Feb-14 17:34:15

Sorry sugarpaste.

MikeLitoris Sat 22-Feb-14 20:35:03

My gf cakes are always fine to cut. Make sure it has cooled for ages first though.

I have never had any problems slicing my GF cakes either - I freeze them for a little first then they slice evenly and aren't so soft they break.

Twilightsparklesmama Sun 23-Feb-14 19:49:44

Thanks for the tips I will try freezing a little first, any general icing tips on using ready to roll how do you get it nice and flat? X

MikeLitoris Sun 23-Feb-14 20:56:58

Cover the whole thing in a thin layer of buttercream. Put in the fridge for a bit then add another layer of buttercream.

Once you have the icing on use smoothers to work out any lumps and bumps. The spots will cover any imperfections.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now