Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Baking competition - What flavour cake and icing?

(8 Posts)
TickledOnion Sat 26-Oct-13 22:06:11

I'm entering a work baking competition. I've got the appearance and decoration all worked out but need a fantastic flavour. What flavour would you vote for in a competition? Does anyone have any amazing recipes?
It needs to be carvable and covered in chocolate buttercream or something similarly coloured as it needs to look like a wooden box. I'll smooth it and then add some lines with a knife. I know fondant would look better, but it tastes horrible.
Any ideas please?

Chocolate Fudge cake recipe

I'd try this Lindy's chocolate fudge cake recipe. Tastes delicious and is quite firm so should be ok to carve. It tastes better after a few days and was still lovely a week later so would give you plenty of time to ice without going stale.

I do a lemon sponge cake (with lemon juice and a bit of zest) and top it with buttercream flavoured with rosewater - I call it Turkish Delight cupcakes.

My all-time favourite is either chocolate with coffee icing, or coffee with coffee icing.

TickledOnion Wed 30-Oct-13 12:39:26

Thanks. I ended up doing a chocolate cake with salted caramel buttercream filling and covered in chocolate buttercream. Not very original but still tasty. The competition is tomorrow...

Ooooh - do you need a quality tester? I am available for any and all cake testing missions!!

TickledOnion Wed 30-Oct-13 22:32:47

Here you go SDTG.

Sounds like a good call on the flavours, especially for an adult audience. It looks amazing, too.

OhhhhhWOW!!! That looks amazing - and I bet it tasted delicious too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now