Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Help with banana cake

(8 Posts)
BusyBee86 Fri 25-Oct-13 13:10:53

I want to make a banana cake in the style of a Victoria sponge. Would it work if I used a Victoria sponge recipe and just add a few mashed bananas into the recipe?! Then I would put buttercream in the middle!
Or any other suggestions would be greatsmile

Habbibu Fri 25-Oct-13 13:18:43

Hmm. That would change the liquid in your recipe quite a lot. While I haven't made this cake from the Baked in America book, their recipes are quite reliable.

moonbells Fri 25-Oct-13 13:23:30

Here's a recipe I use a lot. Old, so imperial only!

Banana Cake
3 bananas
4oz butter/marg
2tbsp milk
4oz sugar
1tsp bicarb
6oz SR flour
2 eggs
Cream sugar and marg. Squash bananas in bowl. Mix bicarb with eggs and mix into sugar/marg mix with the bananas. Fold in the flour and milk and divide between two lined 7" tins. Bake Gas 4, 45 mins. (think that's 180C)

I sandwich them together with buttercream when cold. It comes out quite moist and each tinful cools to about an inch high.

moonbells Fri 25-Oct-13 13:25:18

(That's squash the 'nanas in a separate bowl. You do use a lot of bowls with this. blush)

I often so Mary Berry's banana cake (very similar to tge recioe posted above) with cream cheese frosting.

Also nice with chocolate chips bakes into the cake

BusyBee86 Thu 31-Oct-13 15:22:29

Thank you. Have only just got round to making one! It's in the oven now, moonbells...is that right, 45mins in oven?

moonbells Thu 31-Oct-13 15:34:45

Yes. Don't be tempted to peek! It does sink a bit alarmingly when it cools, don't panic. Tastes just fine! smile

BusyBee86 Thu 31-Oct-13 16:03:50

Oops I've only just seen you're reply....I had a peek and took it out the oven after 40mins! Hope it's all cooked! Looks it. Can't wait to try it later once it's complete!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now