How do I put coloured ready to roll icing into white icing?

(21 Posts)

Thank you blush

nannycook Wed 11-Sep-13 19:04:21

Fab cake 50

IrisWildthyme Wed 11-Sep-13 16:03:39

Wow! That's a brilliant cake. Well done!

Well here it is!

Quite pleased, though there are bits I'm not too sure about, but ds2 will like it, I'm sure.

Ah, I'd not thought about them losing their shape! I think I'll stick to cutting out red and yellow circles and sticking them on (particularly if vodka is concerned!) :-)

nannycook I have made a few cakes and love handling fondant, am making a number 2 cake so that might be a challenge in itself! I appreciate why you asked though, it's not easy.

iris my ds will just love the fact that its cake, just thought if it was "simple but effective", I'd give it a go, but I know what you mean.

I will post a pic on Wednesday!

Thanks everyone.

NoComet Fri 06-Sep-13 23:39:13

I've done a teddy bear, cut out shape from cake, lift out and insert identical coloured bear. Easiest if you have marzipan under your fondant.

Only tricky bit is getting the yellow bear the same thickness as the cake covering.

My book gives all sorts of complex instructions, me I just eyeballed it.

However, method might be better for dots all over

nannycook Fri 06-Sep-13 23:12:40

Its a nice idea though and good luck with it, make sure you take pics ok?

I did it once on the cake, nanny, not before.

nannycook Fri 06-Sep-13 23:06:28

Very very careful. Done it with cupcakes but not sure about rolling a large piece of fondant over a cake, you have to smooth, etc, wont it loose its shape?

Oh, I see. In - setting circles of colour into the white? I have done that. You just have to be very careful.

nannycook Fri 06-Sep-13 22:53:49

I normally use glue but failing that, water will do.

BellaVita Fri 06-Sep-13 22:49:38

You need alcohol ie. vodka and a tiny paintbrush.

Brush the dots with the alcohol and stick them on.

Apileofballyhoo Fri 06-Sep-13 22:46:36

Would cutting out circles from the white icing and then popping the yellow and red circles into the holes work? You might have to press the edges down with your fingers. It could be very fiddly.

IrisWildthyme Fri 06-Sep-13 22:45:55

That cake looks to me as if the coloured dots were sprayed on using a stencil after the cake was iced with plain white. Fondant icing distorts very easily, I wouldn't attempt to make spotty icing and then wrap it onto a cake.

How important is it, in all honesty, that the coloured circles are actually smooth with the white? It's for your DS's 2nd birthday - he will be delighted that it is cake, and that it is colourful and has candles on it. No-one whose opinion matters is going to judge you if the circles don't segue seamlessly from white to coloured.

If you can't use a stencil method, I think that icing the cake all over in white, rolling the coloured fondant extremely thin then cutting out circles with a pastry cutter, and stuck on with a few drops of hot water, will be the closest you can get - but the circles will almost certainly stretch to ovals in the process.

nannycook Fri 06-Sep-13 22:43:21

Yes i do know what you mean, Lindy Smith does it in a book on cupcakes.

Guess it depends how confident you feel, do you make alot of cakes and work with fondant alot and know how to handle it well? I dont mean anything by that just tying to find out if you used to fondant or not.

nannycook Fri 06-Sep-13 22:38:17

It isnt easy to do you will have to be very gentle rolling them over the top as they will lose their shape and will look oblong instead of round, so much easier to cut circles out and stick on with edible glue or water even as i did for a cake i made for my grandson back last yr, pale blue cake then cut out circles in blue, green yellow and red.

I'll try to find a picture...

Yes, I have red icing, yellow icing and white icing, instead of cutting red and yellow circles out and sticking them onto the white icing, could I somehow incorporate them into the white icing?

I'm not explaining it well and I've never done a link so don't know how.

nannycook Fri 06-Sep-13 22:32:18

If you just add the coloured fondant all you'll end up with is a pale shade of whatever colour your icing was to start with, what you need is a pot of paste colour and add with a cockail stick with you knead in, then keep adding till you get the depth of colour you want.

What cake were you thinking of making and what colour?

nannycook Fri 06-Sep-13 22:27:40

50, not really sure what you mean, do you mean you have a pack of already coloured red fondant icing which you want to add to some white icing? What colour are you looking for in the final outcome?

I am making a cake for ds2 for his 2nd birthday, I would like to know what method is used for adding coloured ready to roll icing into white ready to roll icing to give the effect that its smooth and all "as one"?

Do I just roll out the white icing, but not too thinly, add balls of red and yellow icing and continue to roll? Is it that simple?

Thanks to anyone who had understood and can help! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now