Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Vegan cake horror - what do I do?

(14 Posts)
HarrietSchulenberg Mon 15-Jul-13 21:21:02

Link to cake, sorry.

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 15-Jul-13 21:20:16

I am not vegan but I have a friend who is. I made her [http://www.instructables.com/id/The-BEST-chococlate-cake-ever...that-happens-to-be/ the best chocolate cake ever] and it was truly delicious. So much so that I've made it several times since for non-vegan friends and no-one's ever noticed that it's not a "normal" cake.

I didn't put the dotty things on the top, though. I used tiny little sugar stars, which looked much nicer.

trixymalixy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:11:48

I made this cake with this recipe

Barbabeau Mon 15-Jul-13 21:03:15

Check out the post punk kitchen website. They've got lots of lovely vegan recipes.

KobayashiMaru Mon 15-Jul-13 21:01:34

I would never trust a vegan sponge recipe, tbh, I've tried loads and they never come out right. I don't bother anymore.

CecyHall Mon 15-Jul-13 20:59:42

I sometimes wonder what on earth the Vegan Society are doing, not exactly promoting the cause with a recipe like that!

Can someone link to a nice vegan carrot cake recipe please? I like carrot cake but would prefer a tried and tested recipe!

DameFanny Mon 15-Jul-13 20:53:21

Go to this site - the writer can't eat eggs or dairy so everything has to be vegan (other than the meat and fish...) As she also can't eat wheat you'd need to get some gluten-free flour - you can't use ordinary cos of chemistry - but there's some blooming lovely cakes on there.

onetiredmummy Mon 15-Jul-13 20:49:19

Cecy this was the recipe www.vegansociety.com/caterers/recipes/vanilla-sponge.aspx

Tonight I used Pure sunflower spread that says on the packaging it is suitable for baking & no egg by Orgran instead of chicken eggs.

Thanks for the links, I will try carrot cake as well smile

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 15-Jul-13 20:40:16

I use this brownie recipe as a cake. You can drizze icing over the top for a fancy finish.

FrauMoose Mon 15-Jul-13 20:34:51

I've done vegan chocolate cakes before now that have worked quite well - probably easier than sponge.

I like the look of this recipe.
https://witness.guardian.co.uk/assignment/51b8844be4b0c7862b2e3f6c

KobayashiMaru Mon 15-Jul-13 20:34:20

you can't substitute like that, it doesn't work. Baking is chemistry.

Agree, make a carrot cake, its naturally vegan. Or use a recipe that is designed as a vegan recipe. Sponges are unlikely to work, they are how they are due to the eggs and butter, you can't acheive the same result with vegan ingredients. There are a lot of good vegan chocolate cake recipes about.

CecyHall Mon 15-Jul-13 20:32:08

Where was the recipe from?

I have never had a failure with vegan cake. I tend to favour a 'flax egg' but also sometimes use soya milk curdled with vinegar method which I don't like quite as much.

This recipe is a particular favourite with my omni family

KateCroydon Mon 15-Jul-13 20:29:53

Isn't carrot cake vegan?

onetiredmummy Mon 15-Jul-13 20:23:42

My sister's birthday was last week & I made a vegan sponge cake. I'm no stranger to baking & haven't had a cake disaster in years.

However this vegan sponge was just nasty! The recipe was basically to replace the eggs & splash of milk with vegetable oil & water & use vegan 'butter'. It was horrible, dense, oily, hadn't risen at all & if it hadn't been for the buttercream I doubt anyone would have eaten it.

So I thought, wrong recipe, & tried an old faithful recipe tonight but substituted again with vegan butter & used a vegan egg substitute. It didn't rise again but was better tasting & was edible.

Its still no way equal to my usual non vegan cakes. But what do I do with future birthdays, do I stick to my usual non vegan recipe which produces a nicer cake but excludes my sister. Or do I make a vegan one that is not as nice but that everyone can eat?

Not sure what I should be doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now