Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Victoria sponge but no mixer for whipping cream

(16 Posts)
ZenGardener Wed 17-Jul-13 11:41:34

I'd put the cream and fruit in the middle then sieve some icing sugar on top. Wouldn't mix icing sugar with the cream.

nappyaddict Wed 17-Jul-13 11:38:25

Do you lot add icing sugar to double cream/clotted cream filling?

nappyaddict Tue 16-Jul-13 17:45:32

Why did I not think of that. Clotted cream is much nicer anyway!!

SoftSheen Mon 15-Jul-13 14:34:01

A classic Victoria sponge has just sieved raspberry jam in the middle and castor sugar sprinkled on top.

However, if you want to use cream, just whip it with a fork. Will take a few minutes but the result will be absolutely fine. Or you could be really decadent and just buy some clotted cream, which doesn't require any whipping!

foxybingodotcom Mon 15-Jul-13 14:29:52

Do you have a stick blender at all? Takes about 30 secs.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 15-Jul-13 14:25:53

it's a only a 5-10 minute job, although hard work

or <controversial> leave out the cream. I much prefer a Victoria Sponge with just jam.

wriggletto Mon 15-Jul-13 14:24:12

I always whip cream with a balloon whisk, rather than in the mixer - double cream especially can go from nice-and-thick to butter in a second, and it's much easier to spot when it's about to turn when you're doing it by hand. I made some choux buns at the weekend, and it literally took about 10 seconds of whisking to get room temperature double cream thick enough to pipe.

Cakebitch Fri 12-Jul-13 14:33:26

Double cream takes far less time to whip than whipping. its denser too when whipped. be careful not to over whip though. mmmm. could just eat a slice now.

nappyaddict Thu 11-Jul-13 14:43:27

Oh will do it by hand then. I thought it would take ages because I have bought double cream and not whipping cream. Don't have time to buy an electric whisk as I need to do it this afternoon.

burberryqueen Thu 11-Jul-13 11:29:20

last time i whipped cream i used a fork and it took about five minutes - bit of an armache though...

Balloon whisk, or a £5 electric whisk. I wouldn't use my mixer to whip cream for one cake TBH.

notso Thu 11-Jul-13 11:26:13

Oh and if you have some vanilla paste mix some into the cream, delicious!

notso Thu 11-Jul-13 11:25:00

I do it by hand too, it doesn't take long!
It whips more quickly if the cream is room temperature rather than straight from the fridge.

pootlebug Thu 11-Jul-13 11:18:14

Eh? I have a mixer, but still normally whip cream by hand. Barely takes any longer than getting the mixer out of the cupboard.

Carolra Thu 11-Jul-13 11:17:23

Do you have icing sugar for butter icing? Butter, icing sugar, drop of warm water? I often do this for a Vic Sponge if I need it to keep for a bit longer than fresh cream would. You can always serve it with poured cream...?

Or you can whip the cream by hand... although I shudder at the thought!

nappyaddict Thu 11-Jul-13 11:14:27

I want to make a victoria sponge for MIL's birthday. I have butter, double cream, raspberries and strawberries.

I just realised I don't have anything for whipping the cream.

Can I put something else in the middle and on the top?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now