Rugby ball cake tin - what do I use to line it?

(18 Posts)
sweetestcup Wed 19-Jun-13 22:58:26

Hi, am planning on making a rugby ball cake in a few weeks and ordered a plastic rugby ball shaped mould off Ebay, it should do the trick. But DH has thrown out the instructions and I cant remember what it said to use to line it with, what do you think? Obviously baking paper is out, have seen the cake release sprays - do you think this would be ok?

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Wed 19-Jun-13 23:02:18

plastic are you sure it is a cake tin and not an easter egg mold?

sweetestcup Wed 19-Jun-13 23:04:36

No its definitely for a cake, it has the marks of a ball on it to. This is it here.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Wed 19-Jun-13 23:06:21

who knew!!
so I would use cake release.. tis ace grin

sweetestcup Wed 19-Jun-13 23:07:02

Cheers! Have never used it before, glad it works smile

Grease it with butter and then coat the butter with flour. That's what I always do whatever the tin shape. I rararely have any turning out issues. Good luck!

Ooh. I have never used cake release spray. Must investigate

sweetestcup Wed 19-Jun-13 23:13:12

Thanks mother, I've did that before when I made a volcano with a pyrex bowl, actually considered trying to make a rugby ball out of bowls to but knew I would probably make a mess of it grin

Having looked at the link to the pan/mould, and going back to "NeverKnowingly's" comment, I think it could be that it is designed to bake a cake in a Microwave oven (only). Does it have the manufacturer's name on it? It would be worth checking before you fill the kitchen with acrid black smoke, and line the oven with something carcinogenic.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Thu 20-Jun-13 12:11:05

Quote from the ebay link

"These pans can be used exactly like aluminium pans in a conventional oven, as well as a microwave (bakes in under 10 mins). Oven safe to 375 degrees, Gas mark 5."

sweetestcup Thu 20-Jun-13 15:26:30

4merly no it definitely says you can use it in a normal oven, I did check that before I bought it.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Thu 20-Jun-13 15:28:10

I second that cake release stuff. I used it in an aluminium rugby ball tin and it came out whole (thank goodness!)

sweetestcup Thu 20-Jun-13 15:37:21

Thanks return, have never used it before but feel more confident now smile. How did your finished cake turn out? At the moment I'm debating about whether to make one half only or make 2 and join them together to make a whole ball. Going to have a cake decorated as grass at the bottom to.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Thu 20-Jun-13 15:54:10

It's good stuff - God knows what's in it though!

My rugby ball turned out brilliantly - I was thrilled. I only made one half and also had a green grass rugby pitch cake sitting under it. It was HUGE and DS was thrilled. We made goal posts out of cake pop. sticks

sweetestcup Thu 20-Jun-13 19:59:46

Sounds brilliant! Have used this recipe before for these kind of cakes after a recommendation on here.

sweetestcup Sun 30-Jun-13 21:47:39

Well it turned out brilliantly, I used the spray and it was fine. Very pleased with it and it got lots of compliments. I made 2 halves and stuck them together with butter-cream, covered it in a thin layer of butter-cream and then colored icing. I also made 4 square chocolate cakes and covered it with chocolate ganache for the ground, piped on some green butter-cream for grass and crumbled up biscuits for dirt and finally put some melted chocolate on the ends to look like mud. The birthday boy was thrilled!

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Mon 01-Jul-13 08:28:43

yay well done... we need pics...

sweetestcup Tue 02-Jul-13 20:59:36

Ive uploaded a picture and said make it public but nothing happens when you hover over my name for me, hope you can see it! confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now