Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Has anyone tried making fondant icing from scratch?

(7 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 11-May-13 07:26:01

I came across my recipe when I realised the shops were shut, it was my DDs birthday the next day and I had neither fondant icing nor the ingredients required to make it! It's not quite the same as fondant icing which I actually think if foul) but handles OK. You may need to tweak the texture to make mouldings though.

Soupdragon that looks fairly easy, thanks. The only recipe I have in my (library of) cook books, requires that the fondant is heated in a bain-marie, which seems quite a faff.
Imnotaslimjim how do you make marshmallow fondant?
Re: flavouring, I'd thought of just replacing some of the liquid in the recipe with fresh fruit juice, coffee etc. I've used this method before with other things & it's always worked so far. (I'm a slightly experimental cook.)

Marshmallow fondant is fairly easy to make, and tastes fabulous. Just make sure you use lots of trez in the bowl before you start or it won't come out

SoupDragon Fri 10-May-13 19:12:16

I made this and it was lovely.

I like the look of making marshmallow fondant.

I have found that Dr Oetker fondant is the nicest tasting one local to me. Its ££ compared to own brand though.

wem Thu 09-May-13 10:51:33

I have. It was hard work, expensive and turned out rock hard grin. I might do it again just to see if I could do a better job of it.

What would you want to flavour it with? Could you just knead some flavouring into shop bought?

If so, how did it go? Was it easy, quick, messy? Would you do it again, or just buy ready made.

I don't like fondant as it doesn't taste of much. I suspect I might prefer home made as I can flavour it. It's better for doing fancy moulding on cakes, otherwise I'd just go for buttercream. Any suggestions / experiences?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now