Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

How does Mr Hollywood slash his bread??

(11 Posts)
Tee2072 Tue 09-Apr-13 06:30:10

And I was hoping it was a euphemism...

grin

bluesausage Tue 09-Apr-13 03:07:59

BTW my bread making dilemmas are not keeping me awake at night, just night feeding ds! smile

bluesausage Tue 09-Apr-13 03:04:10

Oh, over proved, such a mindfield. How can you tell when enough is enough? I put it in a plastic bag in my boiler cupboard cause the rest of the house is freezing. Prob leave 1 hour tops and after 1st prove its often more than doubled, but second prove not nearly as successful

BLUESAUSAGE, it sounds as if your dough is slightly over proved if you are flattening it, or tearing it. You should slash it whilst there is still some body/substance to the dough. No good if flacid.

notnowbernard Mon 08-Apr-13 22:23:39

DP uses a v sharp, small kitchen knife

We decided PH has eyes like those wolf-dogs that are rapidly taking the place of 'Status Staffies'

olivertheoctopus Mon 08-Apr-13 22:20:07

My DH has a bakers lame but prefers to use one of our smaller v sharp kitchen knives.

And yes, it was super suggestive him kneading those two lumps of dough!!

MousyMouse Mon 08-Apr-13 22:14:34

I think he mentioned that you can use a razor blade iirc.
I never score my loafs, turn out well and yummy anyway.

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 08-Apr-13 22:13:22

yes, yes I did blush

bluesausage Mon 08-Apr-13 22:12:58

Ah, will research bakers lame, cheers! Yes, did you see him kneading the two sourdoughs tonight, that was just plain dirty!

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 08-Apr-13 22:10:07

There's a thing called a baker's lame - its just like a razor blade on a stick.
I'll be honest, I was too busy drooling over Mr H to notice what he used to slash the bread. But I think I remember him saying use a serrated knife?

bluesausage Mon 08-Apr-13 20:56:32

I've tried a serrated knife, a steak knife, a carving knife, a stanley blade... I've tried it fast, slow, angled, straight...is it just me?? Is it the type of knife he uses, or is it all in the way Mr Hollywood yields his tool? I can't for the life of me manage to slash the bread without either flattening the dough or tearing it in a most unattractive fashion. Tips please!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now