Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

fairy cakes

(16 Posts)
MsMarple Wed 10-Apr-13 00:16:33

I find that the hotter the oven the more they dome up in the middle. The right temperature might depend on your oven and what tray you are using, but in my oven 170 gives flattish tops and 190 very pointy ones.

This article is quite interesting, they have experimented with different variables:

www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/jul/08/perfect-fairy-cakes

If they go peaky, usually the oven is too hot.
If you open the door, or take them out too soon, they'll sink.

No real tips but -
I use Stork margarine (it tastes cakey

Must be soft.
4oz Stork
4oz caster sugar (worth the extra money for caster)
4oz self raising flour sifted
2 eggs (medium/large whatever I have)
splash of vanilla extract.

Mix all-in-one with electric mixer. I do 2 minutes.
12 cases (muffin/cupcake cases) in deep tins.

180c in my oven.
About 12 minutes till the smell like cake (not scentific I know blush )
Need to be light golden, not overdone.
I never use baking powder, it leaves a taste.

mrsvilliers Sun 07-Apr-13 20:43:42

Try using self raising with an extra tsp of baking powder. Also check your baking powder is within its use by date as this can affect the rise.

GuessWho04 Sat 06-Apr-13 12:48:54

Sorry have realised I posted that twice. Doh!

GuessWho04 Sat 06-Apr-13 12:47:50

I use a simple cupcake receipe, can't remember weights. However would it help if you use a muffin tin instead?

pipsqueakz Sat 06-Apr-13 12:11:09

I use 6oz of plain flour,sugar,butter tbsp baking powder, tsp vanilla essence tbsp milk, and 3 eggs. Don't open door at all thru baking and they resemble pretty much a pancake. Its not good.

olivertheoctopus Sat 06-Apr-13 12:09:41

What recipe are you using?

pipsqueakz Sat 06-Apr-13 12:07:41

Neither do I the cakes taste OK just the shape is pityful sad

forcookssake Sat 06-Apr-13 11:48:57

Cream the butter/margarine for ages. Expect it to go really pale. I usually have a cd on when I bake so I do it for at least one whole song!

GuessWho04 Sat 06-Apr-13 10:44:39

No don't open door. Do you use muffins trays or normal uptake ones?

LIZS Sat 06-Apr-13 10:30:47

Keep the batter light , when you fold in flour etc do so gently. A tsp of baking powder added if sr flour is old. preheat oven , put them in and leave door closed.

LaminateFlaw Sat 06-Apr-13 10:27:54

Do you open the oven door when they are cooking? That can affect the rise.

GuessWho04 Sat 06-Apr-13 10:16:05

Glad 'tis not only me. Lets hope a wise mumsmetter comes along soon with the answer....

pipsqueakz Sat 06-Apr-13 09:11:05

I am gonna keep eye on your thread i have exactly the same problem so try to hide the pathetic look with lots of decoration but they do look as flat as a pancake!

GuessWho04 Sat 06-Apr-13 03:31:00

Hello

Looking for a tip

How do you get fairycakes looking well risen, mine always turn out flat n looking pathetic.

Tia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now