Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Red icing?!

(20 Posts)
Daisy17 Mon 15-Apr-13 15:26:01

Thank you! He loved it and even correctly identified it as a ladybird, always a good sign. And it was yummy. smile Thanks again for helpful advice.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Fri 12-Apr-13 23:41:48

yay well done!

shrinkingnora Fri 12-Apr-13 22:58:36

It's brilliant! Well done grin

Daisy17 Fri 12-Apr-13 22:42:05

Nora, I used jam to stick it!

Daisy17 Fri 12-Apr-13 22:41:19

Thank you so much for all your help - I'm really pleased with the finished product, a picture is on my profile, will let you know the birthday boy's reaction tomorrow..... grin

shrinkingnora Thu 04-Apr-13 12:54:32

Ooh and don't forget to smear something on the cake before putting the fondant on so it sticks down properly. Think it's called a crumb coat? I use buttercream for this. I have hideous memories of DS2's Woolly and tig cake with crumbs stuck in the fondant and trying to pick them out and tidy them up.

shrinkingnora Thu 04-Apr-13 12:52:33

I really wouldn't faff around with dying fondant unless doing a really specific colour. The link that NeverKnowingly has posted is where I get my icing from. You can either roll it out between clingfilm sheets or use icing sugar to stop it sticking. It won't leave a dusty look - in an hour or two it just disappears. If it doesn't then just paint over with water. If it's the first time you've used fondant just remember that you need to have enough down the sides so it doesn't pull and tear.

A good tip for dying fondant is to mix the colours rather than dying - just need it together in whatever proportions you want (made a scrabble board last week and used this method for the double letter scores etc). I've had much more success making pinks, flesh tones and greens like this than using gels etc. Tesco sell a four pack of fondant in red blue green and yellow for a couple of pounds. Don't forget to post a photo so we can see how it turns out!

<newly addicted to cake making and needs serious help>

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 02-Apr-13 16:02:19

oh and thanks for the reference BRS grin

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 02-Apr-13 16:01:34

for a straight forward solution this is a straightforward answer. get 2 red one black for the dots and face. it rolls out like pastry i would cover the whole cake with red the add the black face ontop.
a pyrex dish will give you a great semicircle for your lady bird.

BikeRunSki Tue 02-Apr-13 11:19:32

I made DS a fire engine cake for his third birthday. I used the red gel stuff to dye fondant icing. It took took the whole jar to get it proper fire engine/ladybird red. It looked great but tasted horrible and the children were hyper!

For his 4th birthday NeverKnowingly helped me out with some fondant dinosaurs. She is fab!

Daisy17 Tue 02-Apr-13 11:10:58

Thanks, ladies. I have over a week on hols to experiment, so will have a look at gels and readymade. Or make a chocolate coloured ladybird with smartie coloured dots?! He's only 2 after all... Will let you know how I get on!

SavoyCabbage Tue 02-Apr-13 10:58:59

Even with the Wilton gels, red is hard. I have their 'no taste' red and it tastes disgusting. I had to resort to red glitter last time.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 02-Apr-13 10:58:19

doesn't really matter, the supermarket ones are quite good, the PME ones are good and so are the regalice ones.

Daisy17 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:52:11

Yes, the icing - readymade sounds like a good idea too - any favourite brand?

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 02-Apr-13 10:39:38

are you wanting the icing red or the sponge cake??
if it is the icing, I really recommend you buy the ready made red sugarpaste.
I make cakes for my job and there are 2 colours that I buy Black and red.
it just takes so much time and paste colour to make it vibrant enough.

when do you need the cake for?

Daisy17 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:35:23

Thanks, Legs, will take a look....

Also a novice but I've recently had bright red success with gel colourings from Wilton Clicky here

A lot stronger and more vibrant than traditional watery colouring and it doesn't make the batter more wet (?) either.

HTH!

Daisy17 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:26:55

*But! Oh dear, if my cake's as good as my typing.....

Daisy17 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:25:57

*Novice!

Daisy17 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:25:29

Hello, first time in cakes and bakes, quite a notice. Cut, have decided to try to make my 2 year old DS a ladybird cake for his birthday......gulp......the actual construction looks fairly straightforward, but what's the best way to get red icing without it just looking vaguely pink?! All suggestions gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now