Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

cake idea for 7 year old girls birthday

(16 Posts)
HeartShapedSaw Fri 01-Mar-13 15:25:21

Awesome. I forget that kids would probably rather see a pile of sweets than an artfully decorated flower cake!

The one where you surround the shape with kitkats and fill the centre with smarties/m&ms? I have only seen that done as a round cake, but it got a "wow" from the assembled 6yos even then, so I would say a '7' shaped version would be a definite birthday-girl-pleaser.

HeartShapedSaw Fri 01-Mar-13 12:00:44

I can't think of anything she is really into, don't want to get it wrong!
I found a kitkat m&m cake somewhere, can't link as I am on my phone, but that seems easy enough to make in a 7 shape.

or more ambitious bouquets?

Alternatively, you could go with the 7 shaped cake and just make it fabulous. Or is there something else that she is into (character, animal, whatever...)?

What about doing it in a 7 shape and putting moshi monsters on it - all the 7 year olds I know love moshi's!!

WorriedMary Fri 01-Mar-13 10:27:56

What about a giant chocolate cupcake? You can get a mould from B&M or Argos quite cheaply.

I buttercream the bottom and top then stick chocolate fingers round the bottom and tie a ribbon round.
Then use a 1M icing nozzle to pipe the top of the cup cake. (Hobbycraft)

Then you can decorate with a sparkly diamanté no. 7 and whatever else takes your fancy. smile

But if you do a traditional fondant iced I think fondant is ok with chocolate.

When I was seven my mum made what I still think was the best cake ever - big square cake, with the seven dwarves from snow white lying in it like a big bed! So little heads and feet sticking out from under a big fondant blanket, with Twixes as the bodies under the blanket, and a sack of jewels and a pickaxe lying next to the bed. It was from the Jane Asher book I think!

Like this

How about a bouquet of cupcakes? I could find some links... Impressive but not huge amounts of cake.

HeartShapedSaw Fri 01-Mar-13 07:53:02

A castle does sound awesome, but I worry that it will be too big and most of it will end up in the bin!

Fondant on chocolate cake is fine, BTW - use a reasonably dense chocolate cake (G&B's inmates cake is my default). If she is really keen on chocolate you could get Belgian chocolate sugar paste to cover it?

Castle cake with hollow turrets and put battery tea lights inside the towers so that the windows are lit up?

How about a castle tower made from cupcakes with an inverted icecream cone for the turret? That way you can use buttercream for the icing...

Eglantyne Thu 28-Feb-13 21:04:41

Butterfly? Round chocolate sponge cut in half and pieces turned to face outwards, chocolate swiss roll as the body. Then you can decorate the wings with icing, smarties etc.
I usually make a Victoria sponge and buy playmobil to suit the theme! Pirates, Olympics, beach, girl with rabbit...

SoHHKB Thu 28-Feb-13 20:58:40
HeartShapedSaw Thu 28-Feb-13 20:50:52

Im pretty good at decorating cakes (if i do say so myself :p) and my Step Dad has asked me to make a cake for my Step sisters 7th Birthday. I have no clue what to make, he is pretty unambitious and said a cake in the shape of a seven would be fine. The only thing my sister has requested is that the cake be chocolate.

I have no idea what to make, Id like to make something really cool, but it only has to feed about 7 people so not too big. Also I dont know if fondant/royal icing stuff goes with chocolate cake on the inside? I always make a plain sponge usually.

Anyone made any cool cakes lately? My sister doesnt seem to have many interests as far as themes go, but she is not a pink girly girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now