Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Crumbly flapjack - help needed!

(10 Posts)
ThroughTheRoundWindow Mon 11-Feb-13 21:33:08

Hmm, it could be that I'm trying to get it out before it has cooled. In my defence with most cakes that's what you do!

Quite like the idea of tahini in it, the sesame flavour could be good. Its a seedy-fruity one I've been trying to make (idea is to have healthy snacks at work. Ignoring the brown sugar and butter part!!).

Will check out the other recipes and thread. Thanks guys, knew I could rely on Mumsnet for answers!

mrsvilliers Mon 11-Feb-13 16:16:12

Are you making sure it's completely cooled down before removing it? That sometimes causes it. I use tahini in my flapjacks (weird but works, they stick together and are nice and fudgy). Also I've heard condensed milk sometimes helps?

If you're interested in trying tahini ones (!!) my recipe's here http://www.toddler-recipes.co.uk/honey-flapjacks.html

bakingaddict Sun 10-Feb-13 21:13:38

Forgot to add that I always find 20 mins way too long, 12-15 mins is fine depending on what texture you like. Believe me i've made many a batch of manky flapjacks to find this out

bakingaddict Sun 10-Feb-13 21:08:53

Is it too brittle or too soft to get out of the tin? If it's too brittle you've overcooked it and if it's too soft, well it needs to go in for another few minutes. They do harden more once they are out of the tin, so i'd always go for under-cooking. I cook mine for 12mins and they come out with a nice moist texture and not too hard

Liskey Sun 10-Feb-13 21:04:53

i use this recipe and add sultanas Dh and DD love it (as does MIL!)

www.mumsnet.com/Recipes/i/2908-Flapjack

Sparklingbrook Sun 10-Feb-13 20:58:33

Soupdragons is on my thread. I have yet to experiment. smile

You need to search for Soupdragon's flapjack recipe - makes me drool just thinking of them.

Sparklingbrook Sun 10-Feb-13 20:55:56

Hi Through. Check out my manky flapjack thread from last week. Here. Lots of tips.

LeaveTheBastid Sun 10-Feb-13 20:54:36

<lurks> mine do the same, end up tiny little odd shaped lumps of flapjack by the time I've managed to get them from the tray.

ThroughTheRoundWindow Sun 10-Feb-13 20:53:15

I always have the same problem with flapjack whichever recipe I use. It tastes lovely but won't come out of the tray without falling to bits.

Any clever bakers out there know why? Do I need to bake it longer, hotter, press it down more? Cook the butter and sugar mixture longer? HELP!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now