Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

The perfect chocolate cake...

(11 Posts)
Yamyoid Fri 01-Feb-13 09:49:33

Delayed response...I actually used Liskey's recipe for the ganache. I did the rest of the cake to the Guardian recipe, which was nice but at the weekend I made Rachel's (forgotten surname, Irish) chocolate cake with almonds instead of flour and brandy cream. It was for Dh's birthday and I highly recommend it, I think we all preferred it.
Thanks for the tips smile

I have tried lots of recipes and the one that liskey linked to has been the most popular.

I agree about needing the cocoa boost, I wouldnt exclude it, I just prefer more actual chocolate. It adds a creaminess, or more body. Thats the best way I can explain!

But then I do like strong chocolate. Its just my tastes!

thebluenailbrush Sun 13-Jan-13 18:30:00

p.s yes ganache will work fine to top and fill

thebluenailbrush Sun 13-Jan-13 18:29:02

how funny! i didnt click on your original link until after i sent mine- and its the same article. I prefer chocolate cakes with cocoa in them, unless they are made without flour, chocolate cakes made using ground nuts in place of flour work fine with all chocolate, those using flour in IMHO need the cocoa boost but obv not everyone thinks the same way.
ditto to disliking the crushed biscuits- was controversial with readers too.

thebluenailbrush Sun 13-Jan-13 18:25:25
Liskey Sun 13-Jan-13 18:17:15

This was very nice though I substituted half of dark choc for milk & didn't make ganache but used choc fudge icing for 3 year old (who was ill anyway!)

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake?pager.offset=40

Not sure why they are crushing biscuits over that cake at the end, dont think I would like that.

Also, the chocolate content seems to be quite low. I have always found the more chocolate the nicer the cake. Using cocoa powder makes quite a "fake" tasting cake to me.

But maybe the cake I am talking about is more a chocolate fudge cake than chocolate sponge.

Im not being very helpful am I.

The ganache will counteract that though. Love ganache! smile

thaliablogs Fri 11-Jan-13 23:28:32
thaliablogs Fri 11-Jan-13 23:28:07

This one. I made it for the bake sale at my daughter's school just before Christmas and it was the most delicious cake ever. Ever.

Yamyoid Fri 11-Jan-13 21:45:17

I'm planning to bake this as a birthday cake but I fancy doing a simple ganache as the topping and filling instead. Any helpful cook know if this will be ok? Or if there's a better recipe? It's for my about-to-be 6 year-old so don't want it to be too bitter, although I know he likes plain ganache. Thanks smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now