Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Where to buy glycerine for royal icing?

(10 Posts)
morethanpotatoprints Mon 15-Apr-13 10:29:24

Hi OP

The same happened to me with xmas cake. It isn't the glycerine though as all this does is put a shine on the cake.
You might not have stiffened your eggs enough, I know that was my problem.

morethanpotatoprints Mon 15-Apr-13 10:26:52

I bought mine from Morrisons. I found it with the food colourings and flavourings, in the baking section. Ours is only a small shop so sure it will be in the larger ones. I'm sure most supermarkets will sell it now.

clappqwm Mon 08-Apr-13 17:40:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

fatsatsuma Mon 10-Dec-12 14:53:51

Thanks everyone. Will look in Sainsbos.

Yes def royal icing. I'm sure I tried added more icing sugar but for whatever reason it didn't go smoothly. All I know is that I wrote a note to myself to use glycerine this year grin

LadyDamerel Mon 10-Dec-12 14:31:02

Any supermarket in the baking aisle. SilverSpoon do it in a small bottle.

You don't need glycerine though. If your royal icing was so runny that it was pouring off the cake then you just need to add more icing sugar and beat it to a thicker consistency.

(By royal icing, you do mean the icing made from egg white and icing sugar, don't you? Rather than fondant/sugarpaste which does contain glycerine to make it more pliable. Royal icing you spread on with a knife, fondant icing you roll out and cover the cake in a sheet)

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 10-Dec-12 14:29:06

Supermarket on the same shelf as the food colourings/flavourings.

MoreBeta Mon 10-Dec-12 14:27:51

I bought mine from Sainsbury as they do sell Silver Spoon glycerine.

TunipTheVegedude Mon 10-Dec-12 14:27:30

Lakeland sells it.

Willemdefoeismine Mon 10-Dec-12 14:26:34

Chemists usually sell it if you ask at the counter :-)

fatsatsuma Mon 10-Dec-12 14:23:34

I tried royal icing without glycerine last year and it was a disaster - it just poured off the cake angry
So can anyone tell me where to buy it? Supermarkets or Boots?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now