Website Domain Registration and Hosting - who is the cheapest?

(8 Posts)
Nix01 Mon 28-Oct-13 21:22:00

Hi,

Please could you give me your input on the above?

I already have two other business websites but they're both hosted outside of England and I'd like to start another with the focus on UK?

TIA.

Talkinpeace Mon 28-Oct-13 21:42:16

cheapest not always best

mine are on 1 and 1

Nix01 Tue 29-Oct-13 07:41:23

Thank you, I looked them up. Another thing, what is the average cost of an e-commerce enabled website per month/year? There seems to be a lot of variety.

m0nkeynuts Tue 29-Oct-13 10:28:06

I use 123-reg.co.uk and Heart Internet for my domain name registrations.

I use Unlimited Web Hosting and Vidahost for hosting.

Regarding an e-commerce site, do you mean the developer costs of building/maintaining, or the hosting costs?

Most hosts are able to support an e-commerce site though your best choice will depend on the system you intend to use. 'E-commerce enabled' could mean anything from adding Paypal buttons to a static page through to an advanced system like Magento.

Once you know which system you are going to use, I tend to recommend contacting a shortlist of hosting companies by email to ask if their package would support that system. It'll give you a feel for how quickly they respond to emails and whether they are able to talk non-techie!

Talkinpeace Tue 29-Oct-13 11:15:34

the chap who manages my site is Simon of UKSiteBuilder - he know me by this name - and I'm very happy with the support and service.
He could give you an idea of costs and levels of service - the more you do yourself, the less it costs

bubalou Fri 01-Nov-13 23:39:48

I agree - 123 reg is very good. I used them for mine. wink

FusionMedia Thu 14-Nov-13 18:28:24

We would recommend Media Temple and it would cost you $20 per month for your website and email to be hosted. Their support is excellent. I would steer clear of 1and1 they are cheap but their support is awful!

Let me know if you are interested in a web designer. I can do everything for you - design your logo, setup hosting, email, design your site, integrate you with social media. I can do simple marketing sites or e-commerce with quick and easy instructions for updating and making changes to your own site. Please mail me directly if you are interested.

Many Thanks
Jo
www.fusionmediaconsultancy.com

PootlePress Mon 06-Jan-14 16:22:32

Hi Tia,

We would recommend 123-Reg - www.123-reg.co.uk or GoDaddy - www.godaddy.com for domain names (but not for hosting)

Hosting depends on what software you will use. We are a WordPress training company so if you plan to use WordPress for your website we would recommend either Heart Internet - www.heartinternet.co.uk or WPEngine - wpengine.com, depending on your budget.

We have helped over 3,000 people create their own websites and have chosen these suggestions based on all their feedback!

Hope this helps!!

Jamie
www.pootlepress.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now