Silver Jewellery business - start up Q's!

(18 Posts)
fifibets Fri 11-Oct-13 14:56:40

Hello All,
Am in the early stages of setting up a small silver jewellery business. I was wondering if anyone out there knew of any DECENT wholesale suppliers?????????? I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment by the vastness of suppliers out there but need to sort the wheat from the chaff!
ANY ONE ABLE TO HELP OR OFFER ADVICE?
thanks!!

>>Have a look here.<<

And move away from the punctuation.

wink

fifibets Fri 11-Oct-13 15:18:32

Thanks I will check that out.

& yes, excuse the excessive question marks, they're thanks to my 3 year old!

osaraf Sun 13-Oct-13 12:24:15

hi! I have a small silver jewellery business, I make my own pieces but also use some pre made elements. are you looking to make yourself or resell? it's taken me ages to find decent suppliers too! happy to help you if I can.
if you are reselling be careful of suppliers from china etc. a good supplier is 925e.com based in thailand but don't forget shipping costs, import tax and minimum order quantities will bump up costs. if you let me know what kind of thing you are looking for I can hopefully help a bit more. I know how hard it is to get something going with small children poking at you! grin

OiVaVoi Sun 13-Oct-13 12:28:25

Watching with interest... I use Cookson Gold for most of my materials, but it's very expensive. I'd like to have a better idea of what is out there.

osaraf Sun 13-Oct-13 19:20:20

Cookson gold are expensive I think. I really like the silver corporation, really fast free delivery and well priced. also kernow craft and international craft and palmer metals. Hope that helps.

fifibets Mon 14-Oct-13 21:03:48

Ah great thanks for the info & support. Very kind & appreciated!
Ideally at first mostly resell, whilst I become better at my own jewellery making skills, & also get a better grasp of the local market I'd be selling to.
Osaraf - are you happy with the suppliers you currently use now? You say it's taken you ages - have you now reached a plateau that you're comfortable & happy with?
I had looked into non-UK wholesalers but am keen to learn more on the red tape that may go with such suppliers. Any more info you can give me would be super helpful! If you would prefer to PM me let me know.
My focus would be silver earrings, necklaces, bracelets, bangles - (probably not rings whilst starting up due to sizing worries). Firstly concentrating on females. Perhaps rolling out to male or kids if things go well, and also accessories such as key rings etc. Really keeping the offering quite tight to begin more quality than quantity. Like I say, really appreciate the offer of help.
x

osaraf Tue 15-Oct-13 07:20:54

hi,
I have spent quite a lot of time and money making mistakes as I'm self taught so if I can help you avoid doing the same I'm happy to! I mostly make personalised hand stamped pieces from silver clay. they seem to be popular at the moment.
Anyhow, regarding suppliers for ready made things, definitely check out 925e.com, but remember to add 20% to all prices as that's what you'll be charged for import tax, plus usually a handling fee of around £ 12 per delivery. I think their shipping is free but they have quite a high minimum order quantity (£500). they will let you do a smaller sample order first though. It's all sterling silver.
my favourite if you want to sell really nice on trend stuff is ninadesigns.com based in the us. import tax still applies. there is a wholesale and retail price difference of around 50% so you have to apply for a wholesale account for the discount. Their stuff is lovely and they give you loads of design ideas.
you can usually use their product photos for reselling but check on their sites. if not you can do your own with a decent camera and home made light box or maybe ask your local photography group if they want some practice! I use wix for my website which is really easy to use. I also have Facebook and Twitter. you can find local craft fairs and events on stallfinder and have a think about doing home jewellery parties/ladies nights etc.
phew, I should write a book! I hope you don't live near me or I've given away all my secrets!, ha ha! grin

fifibets Tue 15-Oct-13 13:52:03

Thank you again - you really are very kind!
I have checked out Ninadesigns & agree - it's got some fantastic on-trend products.
I will keep you posted how I get on...
And yes, perhaps you're next venture should be a blog or book on "How To..." - could be the making of a small fortune for you :-) x

osaraf Tue 15-Oct-13 18:13:37

good luck with it all and let me know how you get on! I'm just gearing up for a craft fair on saturday. I wish I could make an ebook fortune, ha ha! grin let me know if you want any more info. I'm by no means an expert but I've had a lot of experience in trial and error!

fifibets Fri 18-Oct-13 20:06:15

thanks again - will defo take you up on that then!
Good luck for saturday x

Stepawayfromthezebras Fri 25-Oct-13 10:33:17

I use 925e and they're very good, they deliver quickly and their stuff's very popular smile

fifibets Fri 25-Oct-13 11:47:09

thanks everyone for you help. I have now ordered some with 925e & Ninadesigns.
If you have any good supplier tips for boxes that would be great too. I've ordered a few samples so will see how they turn out, but insider advice much appreciated x

Stepawayfromthezebras Fri 25-Oct-13 14:01:10

I get pouches rather than boxes but get them from Packaging World on ebay. They do boxes too smile

osaraf Thu 07-Nov-13 19:21:34

how are you getting on fifibets? did you get your deliveries?

fifibets Thu 23-Jan-14 15:05:48

Hello osaraf - yes I have indeed & have been busy - in the end I mostly bought some components & then have been making bits up - necklaces with pendants, earrings, stretch bead/charm bracelets, still want to expand this to chain bracelets etc. Had real trouble getting a decent bracelet elastic though! Really liked 925e for price & varied choice.
I have lots now just need to take pix & get going on website & facebook page etc. I've been rather slow as my youngest has been rather poorly for the past 2months(!)
I got some lovely black organza bags, rather than boxes for now. Probably need to get hold of some good card (or similar) for displaying earrings (not sure of technical term for these holders?)
Do you use any good suppliers for displays? x

MrsBucketxx Thu 23-Jan-14 15:11:14

Im looking for artists who sell jewellery for my new gallery I'm setting up if you have any pics or your interested in selling with me on a commission sale and return basis pm me.

Or anyone else for that matter.

hanloumac Sun 16-Feb-14 15:53:54

Try burhousebeads.com, they are wholesale only and been trading for years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now