Website design

(8 Posts)
DragonPaws Mon 26-Aug-13 14:35:24

I'm setting up a new business and am struggling to work out how my website can be designed.

I am looking to set up a website which needs to save information for each person logging in and then use this information to perform simple calculation (for example applying 20% off for certain customers). I am going to get quotes to do this work, but want to understand what type of coding etc would be needed first so I can provide the right information to get accurate quotes. Does anyone know what type of code would be used (eg HTML) and how the information would be saved (presumably on a server but how would it get there)?
Any information of anyone would be great!

Cheryzan Mon 26-Aug-13 14:39:56

There's dozens of ways to do this.

Normally you wouldn't just use HTML for this, you'd use a programming language. Of which there are many, all equally good.

Have you looked into off the shelf products? Some do this type of stuff I think and would probably end up cheaper.

Cheryzan Mon 26-Aug-13 14:41:25

How complicated will the website be?

Is it like an online brochure? Or an online shop? Or does it actually do something?

DragonPaws Mon 26-Aug-13 14:51:47

Thanks for replying.

The website would be quite simple as are the calculations, but the difficulty is that the calculation would vary for each person logging in. Its not an on line shop as such - it would provide information based on what was put in for each customer. I would want to hold the information for each person so they could see what they have done on previous log ins.

What type of off the shelf products are there? I am fairly IT literate, but haven't done website design using code, only using an off the peg site but I have used other code (eg excel VBA).

Cheryzan Mon 26-Aug-13 17:47:04

I think you can get online shops that provide different discounts for different people.

But I'm not sure what you want. Is it more like a content management system?

Anyway, the solution proposed will probably be whatever the programmer is good at.

DolomitesDonkey Tue 27-Aug-13 11:32:50

WordPress CMS with a plugin from these guys:- www.yourmembers.co.uk/ - they're a group of guys/gals based in Leeds and the customer service is awesome.

makeusawebsite Thu 29-Aug-13 13:11:56

When a website is performing a calculation like this, we generally ask customers to put their calculations down on paper, or ideally into a spreadsheet. Also, include a few example scenarios. This will help us to get our head around exactly what you are trying to achieve.

In terms of the coding; you shouldnt really need to worry about this aspect. The coding will be determined by several factors; the most important thing is for you to have the calculation down on paper, so that the coders can code it.

It may be that there is an off the shelf solutions, but I would need a little more info. Wordpress may be an option with an ecommerce bolt-on. Feel free to pm me.

Adele
MakeUsAWebsite

makeusawebsite Wed 04-Sep-13 21:55:50

I recently created an infographic, which explains the things you need to ask/think about when you are having a website created. Hopefully it will be of use to you

The Business Owners Guide To Commissioning A New Website

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now