Targeting rich parents ;)

(53 Posts)
NourishingButtons Sat 17-Aug-13 22:20:54

So, have taken the plunge and started a business, main product being a high ticket price garden play item (good value for money but price is due to quality materials and craftsmanship).

We have no money for advertising so will be relying on PR, we have some lovely editorial style pics.

Would really like some advice on good platforms to reach parents who are well off (obviously not the world I move in, or I would know ha!). Websites, publications, communities etc.

Any help much appreciated, thanks smile

holidaybug Sat 17-Aug-13 22:26:11

Difficult to see how you will be able to manage without advertising. We have a magazine that circulates in our area but I'm sure you'd have to pay to have your products advertised in it.

I think you might be a little off the mark though with targeting 'rich parents'. People don't have to be rich to afford expensive products - they just need a credit card smile

How do you plan to do this, without an advertising budget?

I think mumsnets own advertising rates are pretty decent, a good place to start? wink

NourishingButtons Sat 17-Aug-13 22:30:11

Ha yeah that's true!

We will have to start small, and will be relying on social media campaigns, SEO and PR (that's why we have had a lovely photo shoot courtesy of a commercial photographer in our village) as the pics are very attractively styled. I'm confident we will do well for coverage locally, but nationally could be more tricky.

NourishingButtons Sat 17-Aug-13 22:30:55

I will look into mumsnet adv - thanks for tip smile

TheDoctrineOfJetlag Sun 18-Aug-13 07:09:28

Baby Surrey, Baby Hampshire (assume there are ones for every area) type publications

Junior magazine

Loads of free magazines like Primary Times.

I'd think you would have to pay for all though unless the product is "story worthy" in it's own right.

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 18-Aug-13 08:23:52

The problem is, if you look like a 'cheap' (for want of a better phrase, sorry) then people possibly won't buy high end goods from you.

Graceparkhill Sun 18-Aug-13 08:28:48

Certainly in Scotland "rich" does not always mean high disposable income.
It is often parents/ grandparents on lower incomes who are higher spenders on one off items.

BikeRunSki Sun 18-Aug-13 08:30:38

Where in the country are you ? In W Yorks Mumbles magazine hits your target audience and i think their rates are pretty reasonable

cottoncandy Sun 18-Aug-13 08:30:45

Try the various Nct newsletters? They are cheap to advertise in and if you offer to write an article about starting a business then you might get a free spot?

Spottypurse Sun 18-Aug-13 08:31:13

What a load of doscriminatory piffle. So because I don't look "rich" I'm not worthy to buy your incredibly high end and awfully naice garden play equipment?

Isn't my money as good as anyone else's?

Cheerymum Sun 18-Aug-13 08:31:19

Can you offer to put one up at some local children's events? Might be a way to get some interest

Cerisier Sun 18-Aug-13 08:32:13

How about putting a paper advertisement up in supermarkets in well to do areas you can reach or people you know can reach?

Talk to your local newspapers and see if they will do an article about your start up and the history of it- this would reach all sorts of people. If it is a particularly interesting story the Nationals might pick it up.

Tee2072 Sun 18-Aug-13 08:33:47

To sell to the rich, you have to look rich.

So find some advertising money.

Or admit you are out of your league and sell to anyone who wants to buy it.

You snob.

Spottypurse Sun 18-Aug-13 08:35:56

I can spell discriminatory. My ipad can't. I'm not some ill-educated oik.

<doffs hat in suitably contrite manner to the toffs. I know my place>

I'm actually massively offended by the whole tone of your post OP.

FourGates Sun 18-Aug-13 08:36:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meditrina Sun 18-Aug-13 08:39:19

Apart from your local newspaper (if you still have one) you'll find that most "articles" about new products are paid placements.

Unless there's something 'featureworthy' about your company/product, I doubt you'll get much/any interest elsewhere.

EMS23 Sun 18-Aug-13 08:40:36

Give a freebie to the school that all the children of your target parents attend.

FourGates Sun 18-Aug-13 08:42:11

Spottypurse Sun 18-Aug-13 08:44:11

That's nonsense. I had a very expensive pice of play equipment for DD that I saved for, grandparents helped out with.

And I was anything but rich.

Spottypurse Sun 18-Aug-13 08:45:18

And the OP comes across as if she wouldn't want my money because I'm not rich.

If you are looking for national coverage OP, how are you going to transport, deliver and assemble this very large very naice piece of play equipment?

Labootin Sun 18-Aug-13 08:49:58

Ouch .. Maybe hire a PR person it's clearly not your forte.

TheSecondComing Sun 18-Aug-13 09:00:06

DontmindifIdo Sun 18-Aug-13 09:11:23

I can see what you mean, and am not going to join in with the professionally offended people on here - while some poorer people can afford expensive equipment or have grandparents who will pay, they will be in the minority of your customers if your stuff is both expensive and not retailing through a high street chain - if you have limited advertising budget it seems silly not to target it.

Anyway, if I was you, I'd pick half a dozen 'posh' towns, contact their local paper and offer one of your product for free for a prize draw/competition - possibly something like a children's drawing or story competition if they fancy running one. (I think towns like Wilmslow, Tunbridge Wells/Sevenoaks, Guildford, St Albans - sure others will find you others to target) paying to advertise with NCT in these areas would be good too.

Do facebook searches for those towns and "mums" or "parents" - theres a lot of local groups like that who you might be able to advertise with for very little or even free if you offer their group a discount (make sure your prices are set so you can afford to give discounts of around 10%).

Otherwise, contact 'posh' garden centres/garden centres near posh areas - see if they will stock your stuff.

Wearytiger Sun 18-Aug-13 09:37:34

I think this whole thread has an odd tone. It's perfectly reasonable to focus on a wealthy demographic if you genuinely believe they're more likely to buy your product. Notoriously though it can be hard to predict disposable income from appearances. OP I would think about the behaviours of your target group. For example it sounds like your play equipment might be best suited to someone with primary school age children, disposable income, large gardens and perhaps a slightly warmer climate. Therefore I'd be looking at Home Counties, not London, and thinking about the publications listed above and also possibly going to events etc... So for example could you get a stall at a country fair? Can you get some flyers included in local deliveries? How about a cross-promotion with the local toyshop? My local mums' group has a Facebook page, it is insanely popular. Could you offer a 10% discount to members of the group?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now