How on earth do I start a shop?

(5 Posts)
SkodaLabia Sat 21-Sep-13 16:20:51

Sorry, posted to soon. I definitely think there's a market for it.

SkodaLabia Sat 21-Sep-13 16:20:09

Sorry, I know this thread is a bit old, but thought you might like to know that in our small town we have a general store that sells EVERYTHING. Number plaques for houses, slug pellets, scissors, bin bags, doormats. I love it, and it's been around for ages.

MalkieFraser Wed 07-Aug-13 12:34:25

Thank you, that is very helpful smile

GooseyLoosey Wed 07-Aug-13 11:45:57

A village near us has a community shop - run and owned by the whole village.

If you have no money, maybe you could get support going in the village for a shop like this.

Alternatively, you would have to borrow money to get the premises and to do that you would need a business plan. I bet if you google them, you would find examples. You would need to do quite a lot of reasearch into how much stock cost, what your overheads would be and how much you think you could sell and for what prices. Maybe go and talk to the shop owners in your previous village.

MalkieFraser Wed 07-Aug-13 09:24:54

I live in a busy small, but growing village.

We have nothing in the way of a 'general' type store. We have a small supermarket and a post office that sells greetings cards and wrapping paper.

On moving here I kept finding I needed random things that you do when you move into a new home - a mop, scourers, cleaning materials, rubble sacks - I found myself jumping into the car every half hour to drive 15 mins to the nearest town to grab something or other.

I know 15 mins isn't that far in the scheme of things, but public transport takes 40 mins as the bus goes in and out of everywhere, and I have in mind people who don't drive and people like myself who want to take a stroll into town and be able to pick up cheap batteries for their kids toy, or colouring books, or a small gift etc etc.

I'm taking inspiration from a shop in the last town I lived in that sold everything from pots and pans to small electrical items, novelties, gardening stuff. It had been running for at least 30 years and was the 'go to' for everyone despite excellent public transport and a huge retail complex on the doorstep.

But as far as the idea of owning a shop I have no clue where else to start. There is one street in town. One empty premises at the moment. I have no savings or means of saving. No business plan.
I'm going on a dream I had of painting my name above the door....

Where do I begin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now