Career coaching business

(14 Posts)
mishmash5 Wed 07-Aug-13 00:40:58

I am on maternity leave but am thinking about re-training in another area so I can become sekf-employed in a year or two. I really want to be a career coach. I currently work for a large government body specializing in preventing sex discrimination in the workplace. I have 6 years experience on issues around equal pay, pregnancy & maternity discrimination and race & age discrimination so I am aware of the obstacles that women (& men) face in their career progression.

I want to work with women in particular ( but not exclusively). After completing a basic course do you think that my previous work experience will appeal to people? Is this a service any of you would use? I would offer face to face coaching (within a specific radius), telephone coaching & Skype coaching.

What does everyone think?

smile

Rummikub Wed 07-Aug-13 00:49:34

When you say careers coach, what do you mean by that?

Wuldric Wed 07-Aug-13 00:51:45

Who would be your target clients?

Are you thinking of employers? What would they need this for? Who might be your competition?

Are you thinking about employees? How will they benefit? Why would they pay for this service?

mishmash5 Wed 07-Aug-13 12:19:00

I've just re-read my post and it does seem a bit vague! Basically a career coach helps people to work through work place issues they may have. This could be any reason e.g wanting to move careers, returning to work after a break, trying to go for promotion, want to improve confidence etc. Some employers (usually large firms) hire career coaches for their employees to help them improve their confidence, skills and outlook. Alternatively, anyone can hire a career coach for themselves.

The main benefit is to assist people in achieving what ever career goals they set themselves or to help them identify stumbling blocks/obstacles and help them understand hoe they will these obstacles.

I plan to take a course in how to be a career coach and would be willing to do some career coaching for free to get some experience. I think my understanding of workplace discrimination will be of particular use for women as I would be well placed to provide objective and practical advice on how to manage these situations.

Hope this makes sense!

celticclan Wed 07-Aug-13 20:10:54

I'm not sure that a basic course is sufficient. If I was going to a career coach I would be looking at someone with either a masters in Career Coaching or a CIPD accredited qualification and a good track record.

celticclan Wed 07-Aug-13 20:11:58

Having said that I know someone who has been very successful and she doesn't have any relevant qualifications.

Rummikub Thu 08-Aug-13 00:50:17

You could probably set up as a career coach after a basic course. I think you would need to make it clear what service/s you offered and who your target clients are. To me a career coach is someone who works with a client to identify skill strengths, weaknesses, areas for growth and then helps that client to progress in their career or change career. There is an element of this in what you want to offer, but the bigger strand seems to be employer based. Do you have any contacts you can use? Someone to build a website for you?

applecharlotte Sat 10-Aug-13 14:00:46

Hi - just to say I'm also looking at this as a career change once my son is at school. I have a psychology degree, two years counselling training, 6 months volunteer counselling, 5 years HR experience and also lots of organisational change exp from an operations manager position. I dont feel qualified to work 1:1 with clients tho and am planning on applying to this course next year.

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/events-calendar/msc-career-management-and-coaching-1

It's £12k!! But, I want to get the best theoretical and practical training mainly so I have the confidence to consult and work with a range of people and groups including very senior execs.

Like someone said above I think to set up a private practice and make a living you really have to have a higher level qualification. All career management agencies I've spoken to require masters level also. There's a coaching masters at East London Uni and a diploma at Middlesex Uni that might also be of interest?

Sorry on my phone so may be errors!

mishmash5 Sun 11-Aug-13 09:50:29

Hi applechatlotte. I agree with you that a recognised qualification is required but as you point out they are SO EXPENSIVE! I have found one that is accredited by the International Federation of Coaches where I can apply to also be certified by them aswell. They are based in the USA, +it is dine via Skype & I'm given assignments to complete during the course) the next intake is in Sept but I've decided to wait for the May 2014 intake as money is tight at the mo! I'll still do the basic course as a way to check that I really do want to be a career coach. It is so expensive I need to be very sure!

Thanks for your link, I will look it up. Maybe we could be coaching buddies to check on each other and see how we get on with our career transitions?! wink

applecharlotte Sun 11-Aug-13 19:05:10

mishmash5 I'd like that. I'll PM you smile

TheDoctrineOfPositivityYes Thu 22-Aug-13 20:33:32

Hi mishmash

Can you do the course whilst you are working?

cookey88 Mon 16-Sep-13 14:50:16

I'm quite interested in becoming a career coach, but need to familiarise myself with the industry a bit more. Do most career coaches work for a company or do they do their own individual business?

I've got a lot of my information from this site renovo.uk.com/ - very useful

cookey88 Mon 16-Sep-13 14:50:55

They have a very good blog too.

HogFucker Thu 24-Oct-13 23:11:22

How would you advertise?
How much would you charge?
There would be a small market, so how do the numbers work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now