tell me your favourite cakes and sweet treats!

(9 Posts)
pinkmagic1 Tue 06-Aug-13 18:18:34

I have recently started my own small business making celebration cakes and am now looking to branch out and do food/farmers markets. Please tell me your favourite cakes and bakes other than the over done cup cake!

pinkmagic1 Tue 06-Aug-13 19:32:32

Anyone?

superbagpuss Tue 06-Aug-13 19:49:37

carrot cake
courgette cake
proper fudge

decent fruit cake
scones
lemon drizzle
madeleines (feel these are due for a revival)

peanut brittle

LifeIsSoDifferent Tue 06-Aug-13 19:54:33

Bake well tart/slices
Chocolate sponge
Brownies

WantToFindWorkLifeBalance Tue 06-Aug-13 19:57:37

Brownies, blondies, rocky road, millionaire shortbread always seem to do really well at farmers markets and are a great offering alongside celebration cakes. Great for getting people interested in your company through relatively small impulse purchases.

For celebration cakes, red velvet seems v popular at the moment, choc fudge is always a winner as well as the ever popular sponge cake and fruit cakes.

acrabadabra Tue 06-Aug-13 20:30:05

Lemon poppy seed muffins.
Strawberry tarts.
Apple danish.

Or cheesecake/key lime pie.

Hungry now.

Wearytiger Fri 09-Aug-13 11:15:03

When I went to the US I tried seven layer bars which were fantastic (like flapjavks but with pecan, caramel, choc chips etc). I have never seen them here but there are lots of recipes on the Internet. As you need a large (seven) number of ingredients, but not much of each, I reckon they would be good for using up odds and ends you have left over from other cakes. I have no idea as to their real provenance but I would personally call them Connecticut seven layer bars as that's where I tried them and to me, that sounds suitably fancy!

MrsBertMacklin Fri 09-Aug-13 11:21:36

I buy things from stalls that I couldn't be bothered to make myself, so things like layer cakes, meringuey things, Danish and carrot cake.
A friend who runs stalls is always stunned at how well her basic brownie sells, over and above fancier versions she makes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now