Got a great business idea? Need a little help whipping it into shape? Welcome to the Business Brainstorm! Get involved for your chance to win a Workfest goody bag! NOW CLOSED

(31 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Jul-13 11:11:22

So, last month saw the first ever Mumsnet Workfest, sponsored by Barclays. Over 200 Mumsnetters came to hear speakers talk about returning to work or starting up your own business - and to meet each other in person, of course!

Lots of the new entrepreneurs who attended were brainstorming ideas there and then, so Barclays thought what better place to get that going again than on a thread on the Business Start-ups talkboard.

So go for it, whether you have an idea for a new business, you're looking for a new logo or you have promotion coming up, please do get talking on this thread about how you can make your ideas even better with a little help!

Barclays on Mumsnet also have two exclusive goody bags from Workfest to give away, so get involved - either by asking your business question or posting a helpful response to someone else's business dilemma - for your chance to win one!

Everyone who adds a comment before the closing date of 29th July 2013 will be entered into a prize draw where the first two names drawn MNer will win a Workfest goody bag each (worth c. £50!).

Thanks
MNHQ

thethighshaveit Sat 27-Jul-13 20:42:18

MarthaS, inmysparetime and moresnowplease,
Thank you so much for your replies. Sorry it has taken me a while to reply but I have been working very hard and the website is now live! Hooray!
I really appreciate all the advice you have given and unfortunately am already dissatisfied with my website and looking to move to another provider. The shop does not have all the functionality I would like which is a shame but you learn from your mistakes! My peak sales period is the simmer so I really wanted to get a feel for how I can improve this year rather than waiting till next.

On the plus side I have had lots of positive feedback from people so fingers crossed it all works out in the end.

Thanks again

Maggietess Sat 27-Jul-13 22:22:39

moresnow and marthas thanks so much for your advice.

Martha I'm not sure if the lean start up is a goer as I think what I'm trying to sell is the fact that it would do all these things.

Moresnow I think I'm leaning towards hiring someone rather than parternering as I think if it's set up correctly like I envisage then I could run with it. I'm going to do a bit more work on the business plan then talk to my local enterprise agency to see of they can add some thoughts. I'll def pm you if I get to that stage and am thinking about really making it work. Thanks so much!

NEScribe Mon 29-Jul-13 21:08:43

Lollipop - why not try some market research rather than just not go for it?. Ring potential clients and say it is market research to judge demand or put a survey form where potential customers meet up? (Always out a contact email or number on the survey - just in case someone does want the service right now smile

belle1992 Mon 29-Jul-13 21:45:29

Lollipop, that sounds like a really great Idea, I'm in the early stages of starting a cake business, I have wanted to for years but was always too scared to go for it then I just realised life is too short! If it doesnt work out then at least I tried, but if you put all your effort and heart into it then you should have no regrets whatever happens!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 31-Jul-13 10:30:20

hello - thanks for all the comments: am pleased to say ThatsSoVanquish and Smilehappy are the winners of the WorkFest goody bags. Well done.

Smilehappy Thu 01-Aug-13 00:16:02

Woo hoo grinsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now